Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

grand cayman war memorial

john w.

Just returned from a rather nice cruise in the Caribbean and found this on Grand Cayman... I am posting other photos as I want seem to find the names on the CWGC database... Grand Cayman is still under British rule and so I would have thought that there would be some reference to them.. any ideas?

post-19-1093277813.jpg

names from the memorial, have a look, any thoughts, i have had to crop the photo rather than resize to get the detail. The memorial covers non war years as well.

post-19-1093278295.jpg

Here is Watler

Name: WATLER, JAMES LADNER

Initials: J L

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Merchant Navy

Unit Text: S.S. Llandilo (London)

Date of Death: 02/11/1942

Additional information: Son of Joseph R. and Blanche Lee Watler, of George Town, Grand Cayman, British West Indies.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 65.

Cemetery: TOWER HILL MEMORIAL

Terry that must be a record!

Cheers.. what about Cecil Bush and Harold Borden, I looked on CWGC and nothing doing... would thee be any other method to finding them?

Am not back home till end of the month...

John

I can't pin down Bush and Borden but there are candidates. Difficult to tell with no further info.

Of course, they may not have served in a Commonwealth force or were civilians.

Cheers Terry,

There are others that I havent posted as there were 8 tablets on the memorial ranging from 1880 to the 1960s... will keep searching

It was just the fact that there is a listing for the main nationalities (Indian, New Zealand etc) but not for others such as the Caribbean...

John

One more for you, but the flash went off on the subjects face on the tablet and it wasnt until I got back to the boat that I realised that it had happened..

Just have to go back again some time and redo it :D

John

post-19-1093279892.jpg

The tablets by the way are on the base of this, and not the memorial at the top of the page... one day it will look better but they are building round it

post-19-1093280123.jpg

The nationalities shown by CWGC are those of the force in which casualties served and not those of the individuals.

All British colonial forces are counted as 'United Kingdom'.

'grand cayman' 'a far off memorial'... I guess that depends on what part of the world you are from! ;) Its only about 2 hours flying time from here.

Ypres.. 6000 miles - 7 hours flying, 2 hours driving... now thats far off! :lol: