Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The higher direction of the war

Old Tom

I would like to be better informed about this aspect of the war. That is to say, intergovernmental discussion Angle French and others, the influence, if any, of the King, the doings of the Imperial Defence Committee before and during the war etc. My reading has included various snippets, usually in terms of how commanders were affected in the context of specific operations, but I am looking for a treatment, if one exists (there are probably many) of what went on above the Joffre,Haig, Foch level say from 1905 to 1920. Any suggestions please!

I have tried Lloyd George's memoirs but would like a modern authors views.

Old Tom

Here's a few sources for starters:

• Samuel R. Williamson Jr, The politics of grand strategy: Britain and France prepare for war, 1904-1914 (Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1969)
  • Field Marshal Sir William Robertson, Soldiers and Statesmen 1914-1918 (London: Cassell and Company, 1926). Robertson rose to become Chief of the Imperial General Staff by 1915.
  • R.B. Haldane, Before the war (New York: Funk and Wagnalls Company, 1920) and Autobiography (London: Hodder & Stoughton, 1929).
  • Major General Sir Frederick Maurice, Haldane 1856-1915: the life of Viscount Haldane of Cloan (London: Faber and Faber Limited, 1937).
  • Lord Hankey, The Supreme Command 1914-1918 (London: George Allen and Unwin Limited, 1961).
  • Shelford Bidwell and Dominick Graham, Fire-Power – the British Army weapons and theories of war 1904-1945 (London:George Allen and Unwin Limited, 1982).
  • Colonel John K. Dunlop, The development of the British Army 1899-1914 (London: Methuen, 1938).

See also that well known work http://www.1914-1918.net/entente.htm

Particularly good is Captain Stephen Roskill's biography of Hankey Hankey: Man of Secrets Vol 1: 1877-1918 Collins, London, 1970.

Charles M