Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform: is this military? is this WW1?

Jim Clay

I'd be grateful if pals could look at the photo below and advise please. The photo was in an album with photos of chaps in WW1 era army and navy uniforms (the subjects have been identified) but we just don't know who this chap is. Identification of the uniform will hopefully aid in IDing the chap wearing it! The dashing waxed 'taches look great but sadly don't help! :thumbsup:

Thanks, Jim

post-2135-0-46040600-1351012831_thumb.pn

The dashing waxed 'taches look great but sadly don't help! :thumbsup:

Thanks, Jim

post-2135-0-46040600-1351012831_thumb.pn

Hi Jim,

Maybe they do help, in my opinion the moustache and the hair style are either Great War or earlier.

regards

khaki

Possibly earlier - has he not got Macassar oil on his hair? A Victorian fashion that was dying out by the Edwardian period (only to be replaced sometime later with Brylcream)

Jim, I will say Royal Marines by the collar dogs.

John

Thanks, John. I think you're right - see this photo of a WW1 RMLI private which I just found on the web - the tunic/jacket looks pretty near identical to me:

PrivateRMLI.jpg

Possibly earlier - has he not got Macassar oil on his hair? A Victorian fashion that was dying out by the Edwardian period (only to be replaced sometime later with Brylcream)

My old mum had anti-Macassars on the backs of the chairs. I never did know what Macassar did to upset her, but she was definitely very anti it.

• 2 weeks later...

Gents, my pride would not let me leave the RMLI chap as he was, so here is how he deserves to be remembered.

post-18081-0-95700900-1351856023_thumb.j

Ayup 'squirrel'... nice to see another familiar face! :thumbsup: