Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Territorial Force Efficiency Medal

unitedsound

After searching for five years I finally found one of my Great Uncle's medals by way of Family Tree research.

I would like to buy a ribbon and a presentation box.

There seems to be more than one TFEM ribbon so can someone point me in the right direction?

Is there a particular presentation box that the medal and ribbon could sit it?

Finally, suggestions of a quality supplier would be most welcome.

TIA

David

post-34757-0-22269100-1350938411_thumb.j

You could do worse than contact forum member KIRKY who does this sort of thing as his business......He has a website here:

http://www.honoursandawards.co.uk

Hope that helps.

The green ribbon with the central yellow stripe was the original ribbon for the TFEM. As this was the same colour and layout as the Territorial Decoration (for officers) it was changed to green ribbon with a thin yellow stripe down each edge. A man still serving in c.1922 (I can't remember the precise year off the top of my head) would have been instructed to change the ribbon, but those of men killed or discharged before the changeover date could change the ribbon if he wished but many didn't.

I have my Grandfathers Territorial Efficiency Medal, however, it does NOT bear the word 'Force' on it. (I also have his triple set)

It has a Green ribbon with a Yellow edge along each side.

I know from documents I hold that he joined the TF in 1908, served in France from March 1915 - April 1916 with 1/6 South Staffs as private 558 William Thomas SMITH.

He left the unit on 18 April 1916. He was not recalled to the colours after that date.

Anyone any ideas as to why the medal is different in as much as the word 'Force' is not struck on the one I own. Everything else is the same as the pictures above. (Kirky?)

The medal was issued in two forms , one with George the V ,reverse side "Force " was included, in 1920 when the terriers were named as "army" the ribbon was changed & "force" dropped. The medal was also issued with Edward the V11 on the face & other wording on the reverse side altered. The medal was dropped completely in 1930.

Colin.