Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sam Browne and other leather equipment

Khaki

What was the army requirement, color polish wise, for leather equipment?, I have seen everything from light tan almost no polish to very dark brown (maybe due to age as well). There must have been a uniform standard. What was it?

khaki

khaki,

Very good question ?

As you say, I have examples in my Collection of service leather colours ranging from light tan, through dark brown to almost black.

From memory, I seem to remember one brown colour being described as ' London Brown ' ?

Hopefully someone knows the ' official ' answer.

Regards,

LF

In reference to the Pattern 14 Equipment: CHECK KARKEEWEB here

Infantry Equipment (Leather) Australian pattern - Sometimes referred to as Pattern 15 although I believe this to be an unofficial term is usually much more orangey in colour and with a pretty big variation - some examples have a greenish hue.

This all seems to be the original colour of the leather - I am not sure if coloured polish was to be used or neutral leather cleaner / polish perhaps the LoC or care instructions might say?

Chris

I am watching this thread with interest as I have no definative answer.

Having been commisioned into the Scottish Division with a brand new sam browne belt in the 70's it was a light tan colour on purchase and by the time I left it had become a dark/black colour from frequent bulling and Orderley Officers . Certainly the Guards and Regiments in the Scottish Division encouraged a black/very dark tan shine.

Was there a 'leather polish' company that held a "Royal Appointment"?, is it possible that in holding that appointment that it automatically became the standard army polish?

khaki

ps; Surely if King George V, had his leather polished to a certain colour, then would it not follow that 'his officers' would follow his standard? eg., I can't imagine medal ceremonies at the Palace having variations in leather colour amongst recipients.

khaki

Was there a 'leather polish' company that held a "Royal Appointment"?, is it possible that in holding that appointment that it automatically became the standard army polish?

khaki

khaki,

Anyone who provides goods or services to the Royal Family, can register to become ' By Appointment ' and if approved, can then advertise themselves as being ' By Appointment ' to the King or Queen etc. but it would not, as in the case of polish, set the ' official ' standard for Army polish.

Other officers are often drawn to certain ' By Appointment ' military outfitters etc., thinking that if it is good enough for the Monarch, it will be good for me also.

Generally Army Regulations or Army Orders dictate most things, and possibly there is such a regulation relating to the colour of leather accoutrements such as belts, cross straps, holsters, cartridge pouches etc., otherwise what is to stop someone having their's coloured cream, or blue or whatever colour they wish!

I shall keep looking, and hopefully someone will know the answer.

Regards,

LF

khaki,

Here is a WW1 advertisement for officer's leather cream ' Lutetian Cream ', and the colours on offer were Light, Dark, Extra Dark and Toney Red.

The officer would have used this leather cream on his boots, sam brown belt etc.

At least we know that there were a range of colours from which the officer could choose, so not all offficers leather gear would necessarily look the same colour be it light, dark, extra dark or Toney Red.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-72954800-1351196669_thumb.j

I have a photograph in France of a batman polishing his officers Leggings, the bottle is beside him, it must be something like the add above.

Jonathan

Would the colour/shade of leather equipment not be a Regimental/ Battalion decision?

For example would an officer serving in the Rifle Bn of the TF Kings Liverpool have darker Sam Brown to match rifle buttons compared with an officer in Liverpool Scottish?

There is a period military recipe for cleaning leather equipment which is a mix of pure mutton tall, bees wax and campher, the exact quantities of which can be found on the Karkeeweb site in one of their excellent copies of regulations etc. It works well for cleaning but a bit greasey for polishing or bulling to a shine. As regards to the leather colours, during the period each tannery had their own processes for treating/tanning the leather and there are many differing variations of the same colour. This is the same today even with modern methods as each tannery colours / dyes their leather differently and there can even be a slight colour difference between batches.

Remember that if you wish to deepen the shine on brown leather polish or bull it with black polish several times.

hope this helps

Dave

Thanks Dave for the interesting research, your right, does sound a bit messy, was this meant as a form of waterproofing/ preservative? I wonder if the leather tanning companies made an effort to supply a standard color on military contracts?

regards

khaki