Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Norfolk VTC pictures

ANGLE IRON

These images belong to a good friend who is an avid Norfolk collector,

The badge is shown in Kipling and King listed as a VTC unit, Can anyone throw any more light on the unit or the unusual rank worn on the cap,

post-92865-0-83700400-1350827644_thumb.j

post-92865-0-99561000-1350827707_thumb.j

post-92865-0-44311400-1350827740_thumb.j

post-92865-0-34533900-1350827760_thumb.j

A very unusual pattern of braiding around the cap band, but I don't think it denotes anything other trying to differ from other units within the County and the units O/R's. The uniform itself will be grey/green as stipulated in VTC Regs, but with the addition of a coloured collar, which is probably green. The cloth title, is I confess a new one on me and unseen before in VTC photo's.

Having not got my K&K here with me - I take it that the badge does belong to a Norfolk unit, but as you'll be aware the VTC in general is badly documented, however one of the best sources of information is infact local period newspapers. By 1915 "VTC Notes" was becoming a regular fortnightly feature in those papers covering the North East, but whether or not Norfolk was covered by these Notes I couldn't say, but a look through them may help out, especially if illustrated.

On the formation of the Volunteer Force in 1916 from the VTC, the new Norfolk Volunteer Regiment was to consist of six Battalions, with a seventh under formation

There is some speculation in Norfolk as to whether this badge is actually a Norfolk unit at all and that it may be a National volunteer badge akin to the National motor volunteers. This as far as I know is the first picture of the badge being worn that has come to light. As you say the shoulder titles are unusual.

The badge is shown in Kipling and King listed as a VTC unit, Can anyone throw any more light on the unit or the unusual rank worn on the cap,

Please take a look at this current Thread posted as - ' Mid-Kent Volunteers 1914: arm-bands and cuff insiginia '

It has information and photographs relating to the VTC service.

Regards,

LF

Angle Iron,

I have just noticed that on the cap shown in your photograph, the cap band has been embellished has an upper an lower band of the WW1 Pattern ' Chevron ' tape normally seen on uniform arm rank stripes ( see photo attached ).

Initially, VTC units supplied their own uniforms, which they could design themselves as there were no regulations governing the uniform colour, design or insignia, so each VTC formation would have had their own particular style of uniform and badges. This did not change until September 1916, when the Army started supplying the VTC units with standard uniforms ( see information below )

The photograph is also dated before October, 1916, as after that date, all VTC ranks were given new uniforms and insignia, with the official VTC cap badge becoming the ' Royal Coat of Arms ' ( see attached photograph )

" Whilst initially there was no government grant for VTC uniforms and equipment, with the members providing their own, in September 1916 VTC battalions were issued with 200 sets of Pattern 1914 Infantry Equipment, and in the same month, the Central Association VTC was renamed the Central Association of Volunteer Regiments.

In October 1916, the War Office announced new badges of rank, cap badges and shoulder titles to be worn by the Volunteer Force, in place of the then current VTC insignia, which would be the same badges of rank for officers and men as those worn by the Regular Army. All ranks were to wear the Royal Coat of Arms as their cap badge, with the officers having the letter ' V ' in place of collar badges ( photo of VTC officer attached ). Other ranks would wear shoulder titles bearing the name of the Lieutenancy ( County ) with the letter ' V ' above.

In late December it was announced that officers in the Volunteer Force were to wear the Service Dress uniform, similar to that worn by the Regular and Territorial Force. NCOs and men were to wear the other ranks Service Dress uniform, but made from a special cheaper, lower grade pattern of cloth known as ' Serge, Volunteer Force '. This being a wartime economy, as the lower and cheaper grade of cloth was acceptable, being that the Volunteers did not generally wear their uniforms on a regular daily basis."

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-00334800-1350845773_thumb.j

post-63666-0-06307700-1350845817_thumb.j

Thank you for the information , My friend has done some research on the gentleman in the picture and has not yet thrown up a Norfolk connection. Kevin