Here a new part of my collection :

15dl2ma.jpg

2ly2z3t.jpg

20ixtlk.jpg

2u9s50w.jpg

2gwdgex.jpg

Cheers

David

What a superb find, and thank you for sharing it with us! Do you know who the original owner was?

It is what is known as a stable belt, and I would doubt if the belt itself (as opposed to the badges) is of Great War vintage. This just looks like a vehicle for stitching a collection of cloth badges to.

There were so many different regimental patterns, and the artillery even had their own battery belts, so although it looks irritatingly familiar I can't say off the top of my head which Regiment/Corps this one represents, but someone is bound to recognise it.

Patterns changed too, with a narrower style and a front mounted "bottle opener" buckle becoming common in later years, up to the present. REME had that from very early on.

The old style was usually worn with the leather straps/buckles on the left hip, but Foot Guards wore them buckled centrally in front.

I recall that in the late 40's and 50's it was very common to see leather belts mounted with cap and other metallic badges - didn't young 'Arold Steptoe wear one ?

Whilst this is similar to later stable belts, it's almost certainly a Great War example. These occasionally turn up with veterans' effects, and plenty of contemporary photos show the exact same style being worn as a trouser belt, albeit usually also with braces - more as a steadying belt rather than something to rely on to hold the trousers (which didn't have belt loops) up! It's not uncommon to see these with metal badges and shoulder titles attached, though rare to find one where at least some of the badges haven't been plundered. This however is only the second one I've seen with cloth badges attached, and it's a beauty, completely untouched from when its owner came home after the war.

Add: Sadly, not completely untouched - I see a badge has been removed from below the Pats title.

Hi

Stable belt is the correct name, sorry for my poor english :blush:

For Wainfleet, yes one patch is missing. I'm unable to identify it only with the shape. No history, no information about the owner or his unit. I just buy it to a canadian collector.

But all of the patches are genuine ww1. I just wonder about the 55th one wich is a 7 leaf and I don't know if this model is WW1

Cheers

David

David,

A very interesting belt, which somebody spent a lot of time putting together.

Thanks for sharing it.

Regards,

LF

• 4 months later...

Hi David,

I know this thread has been dormant for a while but would rwould it be possible for you to give the width of the belt please and if possible a photo of the fastening for the leather pouch. If you or anyone else has any photographs of a stable belt with a leather watch fob pocket I would be grateful to see them.

many thanks

Dave

Dave,

I'll dig out a few of mine and post when I get a chance.

Mark

Dave

Attached my stable belts. They are between 21/2 and 3 inches wide. The 'purse' pouch is a press stud closure in all cases. The blue one is numbered to a RGA Gunner he has also adapted a 14 pattern belt loop and german waterbottle clip into a home made clasp knife strap. I hope these are useful.

regards

Mark

post-11424-0-88024300-1363893571_thumb.j

post-11424-0-95505900-1363893592_thumb.j

A stable belt with attached metal badges all WW1 period. Behind each badge the cloth remains bright so I am pretty sure this is WW1 vintage and not a later assembly.

I think Davids belt is stunning and would agree with Wainfleet that it is definitely a WW1 piece.

regards

Mark

post-11424-0-79371800-1363893806_thumb.j

post-11424-0-43317300-1363893822_thumb.j

post-11424-0-31414600-1363893841_thumb.j

post-11424-0-81401600-1363893854_thumb.j

Hi Mark

fantastic stuff; its exactly what I was looking for, especially the one with the fob watch pocket.

Many thanks

Dave