Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pith helmet insignia - Gallipoli

Jim Hastings

Morning all,

An old comrade of mine looking into his relatives' military history has asked me what insignia was worn on pith helmets when they were issued. He has found a pre- WW2/WW2 picture of one relative with a Queen's capbadge on it, but I wondered what the convention was in WW1 (particularly Gallipoli as another of his relatives were 2nd Royal Fusiliers, 29th Div)? Flashes in Bn colours, or capbadges, or combination?

For my own interest I'd like to know what 1/4th Sussex and 2/4th Queens wore on theirs in Gallipoli if anyone knows.

Appreciate any guidance and expertise

Have a good weekend and best wishes

Jim

Jim

1/4th R Sussex wore a 1 1/2" wide blue patch across the width of the pagri on both sides of the helmet. 2/4th Queens wore a dark blue diamond with a red vertical stripe down the centre on the left side of the helmet.

Mike

Jim

I've no details of 2 RF helmet flashes but in Gallipoli they wore a square badge diagonally bisected, red over blue on the back below the right shoulder strap and overlapping the seam of the sleeve - an unusual position for a battalion i/d.

Kath

Sorry, I have no info on ASC

Mike

Great thanks Mike, appreciate your time and effort.

Just out of interest where is the ebst place to find such information? Is there a publication/book?

Thanks again

Jim

Jim

Very few published sources, Mike Chappell's Osprey book British Battle Insignia (1) 1914 - 18 and Major Waring's I/D Pamphlets from the Military Heraldry Society (long out of print) are basic sources, otherwise it is years of checking regimental histories, regimental orders, museums etc. IWM Dept of Exhibits has a collection formed at the end of the War which is another source and IWM Department of Printed Books holds a series of questionnaires on uniform, including these marks, collected from units in 1919 -20.

M

Thanks Mike,

Just checked out Mike Chappell's books on the web - excellent artwork and look like an investment. Thank you for your expertise and time sharing it.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Dress Regulations of 1911 state that ‘No badges, plumes, hackles or ornaments of any description are to be worn with the khaki helmet,’ Later DR refer to 'regimental patches'.

Although the DRs concerned officers only, I suspect the same order referred to the rank and file as well - and possibly to be found in CR somewhere.

So the quick answer is that only cloth rather than metal badges were worn on the Foreign SAervice Helmet (to give it its official name) during the 1st World War.