Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identity of photo

Guest joshlowe

Hi guys,

Im wondering whether any one can help me with identifying the era of the uniform in the attached photo.

We have no idea who the soldier is, except a possible family name.

I also note there is no hat badge, or much of anything to identify him personally.

Rgds

josh

post-92069-0-09098400-1350554357_thumb.j

I would say Boer War era. Where do you think he was from?

Rgds

Tim D

Hi guys,

Im wondering whether any one can help me with identifying the era of the uniform in the attached photo.

We have no idea who the soldier is, except a possible family name.

I also note there is no hat badge, or much of anything to identify him personally.

Rgds

josh

He is wearing a British 1899 pattern service dress frock and the 'smasher', aka 'slouch hat', with feather plume, indicates a Light Horse, or Imperial Yeomanry unit (i.e. not regulars, but volunteer cavalry formed from civilians either in Britain, or one of the Colonies/Dominions).

He has the look of a trooper in the Scottish Horse, but without any identifying badges or other clues it is almost impossible to say definitely.

Thank you for the responses. He is a New Zealand Soldier - this would have been taken sometime after 1890. As mentioned above 1899, would suggest Boer war era. Forgive my ignorance, but does this rule it out being of the WW1 era as well ?

Does any one know if there is an online resource for serving personal in the Boer war ?

If I can narrow down, then I have some idea what family he is from so could narrow down this way.

Have a look here Josh:

http://angloboerwar....w-zealand-units

A similar photo here (different tunics):

http://www.nzmr.org/...&t=633&start=15

As FROGSMILE says he did not necessarily serve with a NZ Contingent as there were various other units containing NZ men (eg. King's Colonials (Imperial Yoemanry) had an NZ Squadron) including a significant quantity of irregular units that he might have served with. See the bottom of the page here:

http://www.icon.co.za/~dup42/bregimnt.htm

Rgds

Tim D

Army files for New Zealand ,Boer war servicemen are available online at Archives New Zealand(archway.archives.govt.nz).

There are a few possibilities with this photo.He could be from a volunteer unit who didn't serve overseas ,A New Zealander in a Colonial unit ,or a soldier from one of the ten contingents sent to South Africa.

I think he may be from one of the earlier contingents,going by his uniform,plumes weren't usually worn in later contingents.Possibly a clue to be had by his button, although you might not be able to get a sharp enough image to tell.

New Zealand volunteers button.

post-44632-0-33552600-1350840707_thumb.j