Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

King's Royal Rifles

Paul Bradshaw

Where can I find the diary for the above regiment-I am interested in events immediately up to and on the 15th October, 1915 when R/4250 William Bradwell was wounded in the thigh.

Sorry---according to "Soldiers who died in the Great War" it was 11th Bn King's Royal Rifle Corps and he was Rifleman R/4350.

Many thanks for this and also the information on the East Yorks Regt War Diary.

Paul.

Don't have the war diary I'm afraid. It is reference WO 95/2115/2 at the National Archives, but has not yet been digitised.

On 15 Oct 1915, 11/KRRC were in the Laventie sector.

The line there ran from FAUQUISSART on the left to the 'Bird Cage' near MAUQUISSART on the right just to the N of NEUVE CHAPPELLE and facing AUBERS.

post-20192-0-61296700-1350554519_thumb.j

The KRRC Chronicle mentions regular shelling on the right end of the line between early October and mid November. However there is no detail of when the battalion rotated out of the line back to billets in LAVENTIE or to the support areas just behind the line. Rfn Bradwell could equally well have been wounded by shell fire further back.

How have you derived the 15 Oct 1915 as his date of wounding?

If it is actually his Date of Death, then there was a major action on 25 September 1915 where 11/KRRC supported 2/Black Watch to their right during the attack on FROMELLES by the Meerut Division. The KRRC units did not leave the trenches, but nevertheless there were casualties. This was 20th (Light) Division's first taste of offensive action since taking their place in the front line earlier in the summer.

If you're not 100% certain of that 15 Oct date, then it'd be worth researching the 25th Sep attack - there are several topics covering it here on the Forum from a few years back.

Cheers,

Mark

Thank you for your help--I am really grateful.

Bradwell's service records survive and tell us that he was wounded in the thigh, shipped home to Newcastle-Upon-Tyne Hospital where he died of wounds. He was then sent home to Huthwaite, Notts where he is buried in the village graveyard on 20th November, 1915. No localpress reports have been found by me yet.

Once again, I am extremely grateful to you for your help.

Paul.