Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Newspaper Reports on Air Raids during the Great War

jhoar

Dear all

I am a History teacher who is hoping that somebody will be able to help me locate a newspaper article on one of the Zeppelin/ Gotha Raids of the War.

My GCSE students are about to embark upon a coursework assignment in which they use primary sources to help them build a picture of the impact of Air Raids on the morale of the people at home. It would be really useful to give them a newspaper account/ reaction - but I cannot find one anywhere.

Many thanks in anticipation

Jeremy

Jeremy

If you could ping me an email via my website below I can send you some details.

Thank you all for your very speedy and extremely helpful responses - they were just what I was looking for. I shall point my students in the direction of this forum for help with their studies.

Many many thanks.

There is a local history publication "Zepplins over Lancashire" that gives a detailed account on raids in the Bolton And Wigan areas.

There are quotes from the local press mentioned so there will be archive material in the Bolton Library about the Bolton raid, which killed about a dozen civillians. I dont know Wigan's archive service but would have thoufght they may have something.

Edit Copy of "Zepplins over Lancashire" can be obtained from Waterstonesas shown below

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/peter+j-c-+smith/zeppelins+over+lancashire/4646235/

Could also be worth including reaction to the bombardment of the East Coast in December 1914 as a 'prelude'. One thing I find interesting is that following the airship raids there's no end of humorous postcards etc making fun of the Zepps, comparing them to sausages etc, but yet to see anything regarding the Gotha/Zeppelin Staaken bomber aeroplane raids, possibly because they were a lot less obvious and a lot more deadly

I can e-mail a short newspaper article that was printed in the Birkenhead News January 1915 that included an extract of a letter sent home from a soldier in the "D" Squadron of the Denbighshire Hussars Yeomanry who were training in Yarmouth at the time of one of the airship raids. The letter contained a short description of the attack

The Birkenhead News also reproduced an article that was originally published in "Land and Water" titled 'Germany's Zeppelin Base' If you PM me your e-mail address, I'll send both articles along

Caryl

Jeremy

I would be happy to send over a transcript taken from The Woodbridge Reporter and Wickham Market Gazette, Jan 9th 1919, which describes in detail the Zeppelin raid on that Suffolk town on the night of 12 August 1915. I can also send scans of contemporary postcards/photos of the raid.

I also have a large collection of the humorous Zeppelin postcards mentioned by Rob and if you'd like to see some examples, please let me know. Perhaps you'd like to PM me.

Regards

David

Jeremy,

The Southend Standard on Thursday May 13th, 1915 printed an air raid supplement detailing the zeppelin raid for the night of 10th/11th May. This angered the government of the time as it published photographs of were the bombs had landed and listed the damage done, lives lost etc. At that time the zeppelins had no idea of what damage was being inflicted by these raids and here we have two local newspapers (Southend Standard & Southend and Westcliff Graphic publishing special zeppelin supplements) giving full details.

The local newspapers also reported all subsequent zeppelin and Gotha raids.

The Times also reported on many of these raids and can be found in the Times Digital Archive, a lot of these I have at home either in paper format or scanned images, let me know if you would like to have some of these and I will e-mail them to you.

The zeppelin supplements I also have at home, these are somewhat old now and yellowed with age but I am sure I could get prints taken for you if needed.

Andy

Now that Time Team is finishing, Ch. 4 are making one-off specials, one of which will be:

Attack of the Zeppelins which tells the story of a terror bombing campaign that took place in London during the First World War.

Kath.

I have attached a couple of post card photos , for your project

regards

Bob R.

post-55705-0-38715600-1350860828_thumb.j

post-55705-0-96060200-1350860889_thumb.j

post-55705-0-34033100-1350860856_thumb.j

post-55705-0-46479400-1350861092_thumb.j

Hi

Are you aware that the Lady Mayoress of Walsall was killed during a raid, or to be more precise, as a result of being in a tram hit during the raid.

See

If you are interested I have pictures of her and her grave etc,

Regards,

Graeme

Thank you all again - I now have more than enough to be getting along with. I have found this a fascinating experience as I didnt know much about this topic until coming onto this forum - I am very impressed with the willingness to help of everybody.

Interested in the pictures that robins2 sent along - the picture you sent of Wykeham Road must have been the one which inspired this poster:

378943.jpg

Although wasn't this the result of a naval bombardment rather than a Zeppelin attack?