Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Medal query

sued

If a soldier was awarded the Military Medal in 1917,and his name appeared in the London Gazette at the beginning of November, can anybody tell me when he is likely to have carried out the action for which he was awarded the medal? Was it usually weeks or months before?

Sue

Hi Sue,

The usual rule is three months prior to the gazetting date, but this can vary. Early August would seem appropriate.

Robert

Thankyou for that, although I was hoping you'd say July! My grandfather was a Royal Engineer and was in the Nieuport area when the Germans attacked on July 10th. A number of sappers were involved in trying to restore communications, but were unsuccessful because of fire from enemy aircraft and heavy shelling. A19 sappers were also trapped on the east side of the river, and 4 escaped by swimmimg. Could either of these activies have resulted in a medal? In August the engineers seem to have spent the first part of the month in constantly repairing bridges, sometimes hindered by hostile fire, until they went into rest. Sadly in July and August the War Diary makes no mention of medal awards, although it has done on other occasions.

Sue

Hi Sue,

This date is quite possible, but difficult to prove unless you can consult the local newspaper where your GF lived during WW1, and therein you may find the answers which you seek. Very often there were reports of local men who won honours and usually there will be a citation or explanation of when and where the award was won. Try the local library for the area concerned as often the newspapers have been indexed by people interested in WW1.

Good luck!

Robert

Sue,

Please keep us posted as to your progress, because I am certain that other members will be interested.

If you do strike gold, then perhaps you could post your findings?

Robert

Hello Sue

Repairing communications under fire is certainly a possibility for a man to win the MM. I know of a case where a gunner bombardier won the DCM (a higher award) for doing just that.

I was at Nieuport in August looking at that action (with fellow Forum Pal Simon J) - it would certainly have been a hectic time!

Ron

Another, non-guaranteed but sometimes useful approach, is to try the unit war diary. Sometimes 'ribbon parades' were held by units nearer to the actual date of the event where the CO, the Brigadier or such would pin the ribbon of the award on recipients as the award had been approved up the chain of command, but was pending actual appearance in the Gazette. Receiving the actual medal is a different kettle of fish; one family member, awarded the MM for an action in late 1918, Gazetted in June 1919, got the actual physical medal in 1923. In the post.

Phil - I've been going through the War Diary. I don't think a ribbon parade is mentioned, but I'll have a closer look.

Ron - I looked up the MM again last night and I hadn't realised that it was awarded 'for gallantry in action against the enemy', so what the sappers did on July 10th seems to fit the bill.

Thankyou both for your comments, it's been very useful.

Sue

Because MM's are on separate cards. Some are mentioned on the service medal cards, the majority are not.

Thankyou Phil - are the separate cards part of the Medal Rolls Index Cards which are available on Ancestry? When I search using my grandfather's regimental number only one card appears.

Sue

Sue,

It appears that MM cards are not part of the Ancestry holding, or at least that has been my experience. These cards do no give much information other than the London Gazette date, page number and some reference numbers which I believe relate to the issue of the medal.

Local newspapers are probably your most likely source of information, but of course some papers are better than others.

Robert