Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French Unit Abbreviations

Guest Chip Minx

Guest Chip Minx

Is there any reference in which one could find the meanings of French unit abbreviations as seen on clothing issue? I have several uniforms that are unit marked, but I don't know what the abbreviations mean. For instance, I have a single breasted horizon blue overcoat with ink mark "19. T.E." The coat has black, ball shaped buttons and looks to be from a mounted unit. There is also a large silver braid chevron pointing up on each cuff, which I assume is an NCO rank for mounted troops. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Chip

Are you sure it`s horizon blue? Not sure about this, but... I find the Train des équipages or more simply just "Train", which was the transport corps. It`s uniform was actually based on artillery. And in 1914 it was iron grey, Officers and NCOs wore tunics of an even darker shade than the men, almost black.

About the 1914 uniform the following is stated by Ian Sumner; Facings: garance Buttons: white Trousers/stripe: garance/iron grey.

Horizon blue uniform; Trouser piping: green Collar patch: green

Soutaches: scarlet Regimental number: crimson.

Train des équipages contained 21 squadrons in 1914, but this was soon increased by a large number of territorial units. And train personnel counted as mounted

Large silver braid chevron pointing up from on cuff? This would be a insignia for maréchal de logis.

Ian Sumner`s book "The French Army 1914-18" actually illustrates a maréchal de logis of 19e Escadron du Train of 1914. Maybe u should take a look? :D

Guest Chip Minx

Landsturm,

Thanks for the reply. The colour you are referring to I believe is the pre-horizon blue uniform colour for the Train. This piece I have is horizon blue. The identification makes sense though, as this is a mounted style coat. Unfortunately, it does not have collar insignia. The only insignia are the single silver chevrons previously mentioned.

I am not familiar with Sumner's book. When was it published and by whom? All of my reference is wartime German identification, which is OK, but limited.

Best regards,

Chip

Maybe the uniform is from somewhere early 1915, when the uniforms started to change and several kinds of mixture`s and substitutes of uniform were worn at the same time in the army.

For Ian Sumner`s excellent book visit here. Not familiar with Osprey`s military publications?

Guest Chip Minx

Landsturm,

I am a bit confused. Could not a single breasted overcoat in horizon blue date from any time after the horizon blue uniforms were adopted? Why would it have to be early 1915? I believe that the earliest horizon blue, single breasted, infantry overcoats were replaced by the double breasted coat, but I am not sure of the date. I am also not sure if the mounted overcoats changed.

I am familiar with Osprey and have their other WWI books. I had not seen this one on the French army however.

Thanks,

Chip

I mentioned the early 1915, because it was the time when horizon blue started arrive to the front. And like I stated before, substitutes and mixtures were used. I`m sorry but this is pretty much all I can say to help.