Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regimental Badges of 1915

martinclift

I am in the process of organising a memorial for the soldiers who fell on the 16th June 1915 at Bellewaarde.

To ensure all regiments are remembered I wish to record the Regiment and also show the Regimental Badge. I do not want to make any errors by using insignia from the wrong period, so any help would be gratefully received.

The regiments are as follows:

Royal Field Artillery

Cheshire Field Company R.E.

Gordon Highlanders

Honourable Artillery Company

Lincolnshire Regiment

Northumberland Fusiliers

Royal Fusiliers

Royal Irish Rifles

Royal Scots Fusiliers

South Lancashire Regiment

The Kings Liverpool Regiment (Liverpool Scottish)

Wiltshire Regiment

Worcestershire Regiment

Kings Shropshire Light Infantry

West Yorkshire Regiment

Queens Westminster Rifles

Many thanks

Martin

If you are talking cap badges - and not including insignia such as shoulder titles - the following should be straightforward, as their badges did not greatly alter before 1952, so as long as where a crown is present it is a King's Crown

RFA: Any Royal Artillery cap badge with a King's Crown. Purists will say that if any are Territorials you need a badge with a laurel sprig replacing 'Ubique' in the top scroll - but this was disappearing in the latter part of the war.

Cheshire Field Coy: Any RE cap badge in brass with George V's cypher in the centre (GVR)

Gordon Highlanders: Cap badge consistent in both wars

HAC: Infantry or Artillery? Infantry is a Grenadier Guards style grenade with a motto HAC (in intertwined script) on the ball of the grenade; Artillery should have H.A.C. on the top scroll of a 'Royal Artillery' badge instead of 'Ubique'

Lincolnshire Regiment: As long as it does not say Royal Lincolnshire, OK

Royal Fusiliers, Royal Scots Fusiliers, South Lancashire Regiment, Wiltshire Regiment, West Yorkshire Regiment : Badge was the same in WW1 and WW2

King's Shropshire Light Infantry: Also the same, but take care not to illustrate the small, post-WW2 beret badge

Royal Irish Rifles: Take care not to use the Royal Ulster Rifles (post 1922)

King's Regiment: The scroll below the horse should say THE KING'S - in capital serif script, not just KING'S or any other script

Many thanks, Phil. This will be of great help as the detail is everything. I want those who wish to remember think about the soldier and not an error, even in font style.

Regards

Martin

I am in the process of organising a memorial for the soldiers who fell on the 16th June 1915 at Bellewaarde.

To ensure all regiments are remembered I wish to record the Regiment and also show the Regimental Badge. I do not want to make any errors by using insignia from the wrong period, so any help would be gratefully received.

The regiments are as follows:

Royal Field Artillery

Cheshire Field Company R.E.

Gordon Highlanders

Honourable Artillery Company

Lincolnshire Regiment

Northumberland Fusiliers

Royal Fusiliers

Royal Irish Rifles

Royal Scots Fusiliers

South Lancashire Regiment

The Kings Liverpool Regiment (Liverpool Scottish)

Wiltshire Regiment

Worcestershire Regiment

Kings Shropshire Light Infantry

West Yorkshire Regiment

Queens Westminster Rifles

Many thanks

Martin

Check out the gallery images at this site: http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/

There is no difference between a 1914 Royal Irish Rifles and a post 22 Royal Ulster Rifles badge. They are the same thing. The regt stopped wearing the blackened brass version in 1913.

Also in 1915 the Tf RA wore the badge with the wreath as they were only granted the Ubique honour post 1916.

If you specifically mean the Liverpool Scottish - this was the 10th Battalion of the King's Regtand they wore a different badge to the rest of the regiment.

A white horse over a scroll reading KINGS on a saltire with a wreath around the bottom and a scroll over the top reading LIVERPOOL SCOTTISH. It's a large (Glengarry) badge measuring about 53mm in diameter.

Whoops - missed the bracket for Liverpool Scottish. Julian is right - as well he should as THE man on KLR badges.

Thanks JulianB.

It proves the point that it is so easy for someone with my limited knowledge to get it wrong, Phil.

Regards

Martin