Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Local Graveyards (Essex)

Guest Tamarin

Hello

In the course of Transcribing local War memorials In Essex I have come across a number of war graves, what has shocked me is the almost complete lack of care these graves seem to be recieving, They are with the exception of one which looks like it has recently been replaced worn (in 1 or 2 cases to the point of being unreadable) they are also moss covered and on the whole in uncared for parts of the graveyards.

Could anyone answer if this is common or are these graves exceptions (I know there is a procedure for head stone replacement which at times seems a long drawn out precedure).

Tamarin

If these are war graves with private headstones, then maintenance is the responsibility of the next-of-kin and not CWGC.

If they are official CWGC headstones, then they are their responsibility. The Commission probably has an agreement with the cemetery owners for maintenance but the work is sometimes forgotten! It is quite common these days.

All war graves are inspected every couple of years but any that fall into a poor state should be reported to CWGC's UK Area Office in Leamington Spa. They will then take up the cause.

However, different people have different ideas of what constitutes good maintenance!

Which cemeteries and graves are you talking about.

Hello

These are all CWGC graves (I have checked all the names on the roll of honour).

The Graves in the worst state I found in ST James Little Tey, St Barnabas Gt Tey and St Andrews Earls Colne.

There is another in Pagalsham Essex that I found well over a year ago which the CWGC has said is on the list for replacment.

I would say without hesitation that none of the Graves I found were in anyway maintained which I have to say has come as a shock as I am only used to the imaculate graves of France and Belgium.

Tamarin

PS have sent E mails to CWGC to start process of inspection and replacement.

All official war graves are on the Debt of Honour database including those with private headstones.

Well done for reporting the situation. The first step will be for CWGC to chase up any organisation with whom they have an agreement for maintenance.

It can take a couple of years for stones be be replaced once a decision has been taken to do so. Each stone has to take its turn in the production queue. Other remedial action can also be taken instead of replacement - such as recarving the lettering if possible. Often simple cleaning works wonders.

CWGC have their hardest maintenance job in the UK as they have no special rights over graves and they do not usually control the burial grounds - unlike overseas. Unfortunately, local councils and church authorities do not always see maintenance of cemeteries as a high priority. That is why it is important to be vigilant.

The WW1 graves in our Essex village (Gt Chesterford), both official CWGC and unofficial CWGC pattern, are generally overgrown and neglected, but so are all the other graves around them. Occasional tidy-ups are carried out, but I presume this shows the picture in most churchyards nowadays. Peter.

After spending a couple of days visiting other graveyards I can only agree with you peter.

I have only found 1 grave that is in anyway looked after and that was a WW2 grave (that I presume is still looked after by relatives)

I would agree that the graveyards themselves are in general not in the best of conditions.

I have been thinking that the CWGC could possably make there Job a bit easier if they linked these graves with say perhaps local schools as part of living history projects and in this way the graves would be cared for in a more appropriate way.

Tamarin

Tamarin

They have started to do just that. See this page on their site

http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/comm_involv.htm

The basic problem is that they do not control the majority of the cemeteries containing war graves in the UK. The owners are increasingly reluctant to spend money on more than minimal maintenance and CWGC have few rights to intervene.

In my area around Billericay the tale isnt so bad... there are private and also CWGC headstones, none seem too bad at present..

One example a private on isnt too good, but the churchyard is clean and tidy...

http://www.stock.org.uk/history/ww1/st-gil...-macmorland.htm

there are most listed in the site, have a look

John