Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

NAMING ON CEF 14-15 STAR

Terry

I have already spoken to David Bluestein on this topic, but thought some of the other Pals might have opinions. I recently purchased a 14-15 Star from a UK dealer. The recipient was 438151 Pte.Thomas McCranor, an Irishman serving with the 8th Bn.,CEF. He was killed in action on the Somme.

McCranor's family was in Belfast.

Stars to the CEF normally are named with a slash between the number and name of the unit (eg. 8/CAN:INF:) and war and victory medals are named as follows: 8-CAN.INF.

McCranor's star has the hyphen rather than the slash mark. In every other way it appears completely OK - not renamed,etc. My feeling is that the star was a later issue and the naming was done in line with naming on war and victory medals. Any thoughts?

Also, does anyone know if UK members of the CEF, especially casualties, had medals issued to them by the authorities in London rather than Ottawa?

post-23-1093205476.jpg

Terry

I have seen this before in some of my 25th groups the first picture shows one the same plus two of the more common ones you see. The second picture was of a star that was given to T.G. Black his Pair was issued by the British Government as he was a member of the royal flying corps. Blacks star was Issued by the Canadian Government this was stated in his service record. The last medal is the oddest naming I have come accross I have two like it and never seen any others like it this I think was a early replacement.

post-23-1093207802.jpg

last one

Best Regards

N.S.Regt.

post-23-1093207905.jpg

N.S.Regt.,

Many thanks for the photos. Oddly enough I have a group of six to the 5th Bn (trio,WW2 pair, and Commissionaires long service medal) where the star is similar to your final example. The naming on the star is very faint, but I can still make out that it is named to the fellow but it appears to be named: 5TH CAN INF.

There must be lots of these oddities floating around.

N.S.Regt.,

I see a memorial cross to the 85th (Hitchen) is on offer on ebay, with a Buy It Now feature. Don't know if go for 85th stuff as well as 25th.

N.S.Regt.,

Your star to Black looks just like my man, so I will bet the UK government sent his out.

Terry

The star was issued by Canada where it was impressed I do not know. here is scans of his medal index cards the victory and the war medal were sent seperate and both issued by the air min. No mention of a star issued by them. The second set of scans are for Sgt George Gardner whos star is the middle one in the first picture I posted he transfered to the 1st Can. Tunneling Coy. Jan 26 1917. I would assume that Canada issued these stars but were impressed in another location then the more common one were named.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

post-23-1093210969.jpg

Terry

I took a Quick look at the cross Hitchen was 185th originally and was from New Aberdeen N.S. Died on Apr. 24 1918 at Oppy. I think I saw medals to a Hitchen once I will check with Walter since he most likley owned them. thanks for the heads up.

Best regards

N.S.Regt

Terry

I just noticed something odd about Blacks group the star is named as shown the war medal is named 316373 F-cadet T.G. BLACK R.A.F. the victory is named F.CDT. T.G. BLACK is that not odd. I wonder if it is because the victory was sent seperate from the war medal and had to retool the machine??? I have had this group for 15 years and never paid much attention to it.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.