Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War commemorations

SWorrall

The Govt. has announced new money and new plans to commemorate the centenaries of World War 1.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19913000

It amounts to: 'bigging up' the IWM, which arguably already dominates military history in the UK to the detriment of all other organisations ; a programme of unspecified commemorative events ; an educational programme 'to create an enduring legacy for generations to come'.

That's it. Get the IWM to do the job they already do, have a few ceremonies, teach people.

The former idea of having a 'special representative' to co-ordinate things has gone, probably because he didn't co-ordinate much at all.

Now we are to have a 'world-class management board'. Oh grief. Three former politcians, two senior former officers, Hew Strachan and finally Sebastian Faulks, because the latter wrote Birdsong. The fact that the book is lamentably inaccurate as a work of history seems to have been overlooked.

Every other major nation already has their plans well advanced. We haven't even left the starting blocks.

Any chance that the 'educational programme' might start to offer a more balanced view than the decades-old 'Butchers and Bunglers' view? I seriously doubt it. Too many people have invested in the 'Lions led by Donkeys' myth for it to be shredded now.

Opinions please? No political comment, if you can avoid it when the world of politics collides with our main interest. At least, keep party politics out of it.

Simon.

From the Beeb: "It is absolutely right that these commemorations should be given such priority," Mr Cameron said.

"Our duty with these commemorations is clear. To honour those who served. To remember those who died. And to ensure that the lessons learnt live with us for ever. And that is exactly what we will do."

Pity he dosent feel the need to extend that sentiment to the the Bomber Command Memorial

Pity he dosent feel the need to extend that sentiment to the the Bomber Command Memorial

Am I right in believing the Government gave the memorial fund enough to cover the VAT? (How the hell can you charge VAT on the provision of a national memorial?) If I've understood it correctly, the Government gave them the money and then waited for them to hand it back.

What did my Dad used to say 'You give with one hand and take it back with the other'!!!

(I'm happy to be corrected on this if I've understood wrongly)

But they have now decided to help (maybe they read the Forum :-)):

A statement released by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport said it was "determined to find a solution".

"We feel it is absolutely right that some extra public funding be made available, and we are close to resolving how that can be achieved.

"Veterans, however, can rest easy in the knowledge that the government is committed to sorting this out."

Last week, refusing to help meet the shortfall, the government said it had already contributed £200,000 to the cost of the opening ceremony.

It said it did not normally support opening ceremonies for public memorials, but had made an exception "given the unique circumstances of the Bomber Command Memorial".

Hurrah for whoever caused the U turn

As a first step the IWM should immediately be renamed the 'National War Museum'. After all we no longer have an Imperial Graves Commission.

Also the commemorations or some of them must involve Germany and Turkey as well as the French and Belgians.

Last week, refusing to help meet the shortfall, the government said it had already contributed £200,000 to the cost of the opening ceremony.

It said it did not normally support opening ceremonies for public memorials, but had made an exception "given the unique circumstances of the Bomber Command Memorial".

Exceptional circumstances indeed. You can't invite the Queen and hope she'll be happy with a tin of salmon and a sponge cake!

I got the impression the ceremony had been, more or less, taken out of the fundraisers hands and the whole thing just grew and grew.

As a first step the IWM should immediately be renamed the 'National War Museum'. After all we no longer have an Imperial Graves Commission.

Also the commemorations or some of them must involve Germany and Turkey as well as the French and Belgians.

Or call it the 'International War Museum' and then it would still be the IWM.

Why waste money, better spent elsewhere on a name change ?