Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Chevron on upper and lower arm?

Silence Dogood

Hi Silence

The two chaps are both Lance Corporals [At the time an appointment not a rank]

The front chap has what appears to be an overseas chevron on his lower arm, one issued per year of overseas service, but issued later in the war [ I cannot remember when they were awarded] one red for 1914 the others were blue.

Hope this helps

John

John - I think Overseas Service Chevrons were awarded from January 1918 onwards

They also both in a Rifle regiment of some kind - there are many - due to the black horn buttons on their jackets as opposed to the usual brass.

Please explain what you mean by appointment as opposed to rank.

From a well known on-line information source in an article under 'Lance Corporal': Until 1961, lance corporal was only an appointment rather than a rank, given to privates who were acting NCOs, and could be taken away by the soldier's commanding officer (whereas a full corporal could only be demoted by court martial).

My understanding is also that if a lance corporal moved from one unit to another he generally lost his stripe as he had been 'appointed' within the original unit only

However, if he was in the Royal Engineers or the Royal Artillery (and I understand from the article above, the Royal Army Ordnance Corps - note bucket!) the situation is complicated by the existence of ranks and appointmentrs such as second corporal, bombardier and acting bombardier. There have been several threads on this on the Forum. See edit below

Do you know his unit? A view of his medal index card might be useful if we knew his name and unit. Are the medals still in the family?

Edit: All the above stuff about second corporal typed needlessly as Staffsyeoman is quite right, they are in a rifle or light infantry battalion (latter, I think). I had assumed that the buttons were leather 'football' buttons but if magnified, there is a bugle horn discernible on the third button down.

Edited by Ian Riley

<snip>

Do you know his unit? A view of his medal index card might be useful if we knew his name and unit. Are the medals still in the family?

Edit: All the above stuff about second corporal typed needlessly as Staffsyeoman is quite right, they are in a rifle or light infantry battalion (latter, I think). I had assumed that the buttons were leather 'football' buttons but if magnified, there is a bugle horn discernible on the third button down.

Definitely rifles buttons, but are you sure these were also worn by light infantry units Ian? That's news to me!

There's also a hint of some sort of badge seen edge on at the lower left cuff of the front man. Wound stripe possibly??

No shoulder titles either - dang!

As well as the AOC having become Royal, the overseas chevrons also suggest a 1918 date and with only one up that might point to a late-war entry into theatre - though of course a lot of hospital time in Blighty would throw that particular assumption! Lack of LSGC stripes is interesting here too.

Both chaps do look young.

If Silence Dogood has any leads at all on the mens' names, we might get somewhere.

Cheers,

Mark

There's another topic running on these men here:

Please help identifying these cap badges

Steve Beeby's identified the pillion passenger as Albert T PARROTT, KRRC then 16/LR (QWRs).

Silence Dogood there is asking about despatch riders - presumably on the strength that these two are sitting on a motorcycle.

Can anyone clarify what make/model of machine is here (Zenith)? And whether it is likely to have been a military machine? Or simply belongs to one of the soldiers?

I'll cross-post in the other topic to connect things up.

Cheers,

Mark

Definitely rifles buttons, but are you sure these were also worn by light infantry units Ian? That's news to me!

<snip>

Ha! Within minutes of posting, I remember 6/DLI wore blackened buttons!

Cheers,

Mark

Mike,

That saves my face, having posted not knowing anything about buttons very much except having seen the rifle buttons of 6th Bn King's (Liverpool Regiment) but then they were a rifle battalion, the Liverpool Rifles. I had found the DLI buttons after a bit of googling. In future, I shall look before I leap!

Ian

Mike,

That saves my face, having posted not knowing anything about buttons very much except having seen the rifle buttons of 6th Bn King's (Liverpool Regiment) but then they were a rifle battalion, the Liverpool Rifles. I had found the DLI buttons after a bit of googling. In future, I shall look before I leap!

Ian

And you've saved me a job too, as I was just looking into the Liverpool Rifles myself!

6/DLI were a rifles unit dating back to the 1859 rifle volunteer movement - exactly like the Liverpool rifles.

IIRC, the Liverpool Scottish also had an earlier incarnation from that rifles movement, though that did not survive and they were re-founded during the Boer War.

Cheers,

Mark

And you've saved me a job too, as I was just looking into the Liverpool Rifles myself!

6/DLI were a rifles unit dating back to the 1859 rifle volunteer movement - exactly like the Liverpool rifles.

IIRC, the Liverpool Scottish also had an earlier incarnation from that rifles movement, though that did not survive and they were re-founded during the Boer War.

Cheers,

Mark

The 5th Battalion of the Liverpool Regiment (in its Territorial existence) was also a rifle battalion (though they did not seem to take it quite so seriously as the 6th KLR), not getting Colours until 1938 and often using the rank of Rifleman during WW1. I think they trace their origin from the 1st Lancashire Rifle Volunteers

Correct about the Liverpool Scottish having roots in the 19th Lancashire Rifle Volunteers, 71st LRV and 79th LRV. According to Dennis Reeves, they seemed to spend most of their time arguing over tartans, trews and kilts and the tradition dwindled quite quickly in the 1860s until, as you say, a more solid foundation in 1900. Dennis is the expert on the Liverpool-based RV companies and their Byzantine history.

Sorry - apologies for off topic.

Ian

That model with twin cylinders was introduced in 1918. Did the army have their own number plate system then?

(I am no expert, but used google for the bike info.)

Is there anything you gentlemen can tell me about the Zenith motorcycle? Does it look like military issue?

Silence, your best bet with this question is to post it in this GWF sub-forum here:

http://1914-1918.inv...p?showforum=153

Also make sure you mention Zenith motorcycle in the topic title.

The trick to getting a quick answer is to attract in the relevant expert Pals - most of us only skim the new content and only dip into topics with titles suggesting a match to our interests.

Cheers,

Mark

I'm not aware of Zenith making motorcycles for Government use in WW1 - the main ones were Douglas and Triumph for dispatch riders, with Phelon & Moore for Royal Flying Corps use, Clyno, Matchless and Royal Enfield for Motor Machine Gun Corps (and others) use and also Sunbeams for despatch riders. This is just a basic list of the more commonly seen ones - it's not rare to see various smaller makes in photos throughout the war, they could have been bought in small batches by the Government, bought for private use or commandeered at the start/during the war from civilians.

I happened on this by accident and hope you don't mind me putting my t' pennethworth in.

The chap on the back of the motorcycle has a totally different style of button to the rider. Also a clearly discernable patch-like lump on his upper right jacket sleeve. The lance corporal chevrons appear to be of a different type, the rider's are clearly edged while the passengers are fuzzy and appear to be 'well washed'.

He appears to be sat on a folded blanket and also looks younger, also the body language is very distinct - the rider looks at ease and confident, the pillion passenger looks slightly uncomfortable. The rear wheel is being flattened by the weight, which would suggest this is not a regular arrangement.

A case of a cadet being given a photo opportunity by an older man perhaps?