Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Best book on Gallipoli- opinions sought please

Jim Hastings

Oh dear, Martin, I certainly don't wish anyone to turn in their graves [including my husband's grandfather who fought there], I just thought GWF members may find the interview with Weir interesting. The film works well as a story about war but my comment did not extend to its historical accuracy - watching it certainly made me go out and seek books to read about the whole campaign.

Regards ... Maricourt

Try Winston Churchill's polemic in the World Crisis, move on to Alan Moorehead, then Robert Rhodes James, and finish with Pete's book.

Your head will spin.

Phil (PJA)

• 4 weeks later...

The OP has by now had many and varied suggestions by those more qualified than me to comment.

I would like to recommend for those interested in diaries and the more personal, as opposed to political, strategic or tactical, 'MONS, ANZAC AND KUT' by 'AN MP' - in

fact, Aubrey Herbert.The central core and bulk of this publication, edited by G.Grandson Edward Melotte, is focused upon his time in Gallipoli. It's an extraordinarily

measured journal, as much concerned with bedding, luncheon and sleep as it is with Political and military issues.

Herbert, an MP during and after the war, copped a very untimely death following a dental accident gone wrong in 1923. He was an Etonian, very well connected, blind as a

bat adventurer and was the suggested model for Buchan's Sandy Arbruthnot.

But, this ain't just the characteristic pensee of an aristo. It's a warm and straightforward account of a very human man at war.

The First World War journal I'd grab in a fire and, importantly for me, is straightforward and without maudlin sentimentality.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

I always find it interesting that one of the things Weir's 'Gallipoli' is criticised for is (and I paraphrase) implying that it was the British who ordered the successive waves of Light Horsemen to charge to their deaths at The Nek. The officer in the movie who is responsible (the fictitious "Robinson") is clearly wearing Rising Sun collar badges, and has previously appeared in the movie numerous times, always obviously an Australian officer.

I agree that 'Mons, Anzac and Kut' is a great book, as are many of those mentioned in this thread. One that is almost unknown, and a great source of information on the air war, is Sir Frederick Sykes's 'From Many Angles.'

• 5 years later...

Echoes of Gallipoli -Terry Kinloch (the story of the NZ Mounted Rifles on Gallipoli)   I found this book to be informative and extremely interesting and of course very sad.

I came across one last year, 'Gallipoli' by Robert Rhodes James, this published in 1965 by Batsford.

Had not seen this previously, but still sitting unread.  Anyone familiar with it?

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

It was considered a great advance on Moorehead when it came out but has probably itself been superseded somewhat. It is on my bookshelves but I have not reread it for a long time. Still useful though I guess.

Cheers Martin B

I believe the full history has yet to be written - a book in English that covers land, sea (and air) and politics that fully employs Turkish material.

8 hours ago, Martin Bennitt said:

It was considered a great advance on Moorehead when it came out but has probably itself been superseded somewhat. It is on my bookshelves but I have not reread it for a long time. Still useful though I guess.

Cheers Martin B

Thanks Martin, will move it up the pile.

Mike.

On ‎07‎/‎04‎/‎2013 at 13:58, Bryn said:

I always find it interesting that one of the things Weir's 'Gallipoli' is criticised for is (and I paraphrase) implying that it was the British who ordered the successive waves of Light Horsemen to charge to their deaths at The Nek. The officer in the movie who is responsible (the fictitious "Robinson") is clearly wearing Rising Sun collar badges, and has previously appeared in the movie numerous times, always obviously an Australian officer.

I agree that 'Mons, Anzac and Kut' is a great book, as are many of those mentioned in this thread. One that is almost unknown, and a great source of information on the air war, is Sir Frederick Sykes's 'From Many Angles.'

I wonder why Weir chose to depict the 8th LH and 9th LH predominantly wearing slouch hats? 

The book by Stephen Chambers - ANZAC Sari Bair Page 56 and 57 includes advice from a soldier of the 20th Battalion AIF posted to the Nek.  In sapping forward, many of the bodies of the Light Horseman in no man's land came into reach.  Among them was the body of a Colonel.  The soldier recalls "All of this unhappy band wore pith helmets and shorts".

I understand Hughes and co ordered the 3 LH Brigade to wear pith helmets. Did Hughes and co want to mimic the British?     This is in contrast to Chauvel whose men of the !st LH Brigade are photographed wearing slouch hats or field service caps.  I believe the 2nd LH Brigade also wore slouch hats and field service caps.  

18 minutes ago, Jack Wyatt said:

I wonder why Weir chose to depict the 8th LH and 9th LH predominantly wearing slouch hats? 

Probably because the general Australian population wouldn’t recognise them without the slouch hat.

37 minutes ago, BFBSM said:

Probably because the general Australian population wouldn’t recognise them without the slouch hat.

True, but it certainly highlights the cultural differences between the 3rd LH Brigade and the 1 and 2 LH Brigades. 

Edited by Jack Wyatt

On 28/01/2019 at 09:51, MikeyH said:

I came across one last year, 'Gallipoli' by Robert Rhodes James, this published in 1965 by Batsford.

Had not seen this previously, but still sitting unread.  Anyone familiar with it?

Mike.

I read it on a regular basis and use it as a point of reference. I've never found a better one.

Brian

Edited by brianmorris547
typo

1 hour ago, brianmorris547 said:

I read it on a regular basis and use it as a point of reference. I've never found a better one.

Brian

Thanks Brian,

Have put it on the 'to be read soon' heap.

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

• 4 months later...

By way of a reminder nudge in case it's still in the cab rank, I'm currently reading it (nice first edition + dj) and am suitably impressed. I mention the edition type as somehow it's one of those books that has a heft suited to its subject but also has a look, feel and smell which makes me want to pick it up and read it. Reminds me of finding WW1 classics like this in the school library.. well I know what I'm banging on about! Where's DJC?!

That Rhodes James volume is a lovely book to possess : its actual physical constituents make it something special.  I bought it in the 1960s, and it cost me a lot of my teenager money .  

It was one of the wisest things I did : it retains its condition , and still makes me proud to see it on my shelves .

It’s dated and reflects the spirit of the times when it was written : a kind of nostalgia for the waning of British power and the narrative carries the character of the author’s Conservative tradition.

That said, I rate it as one of the best books on the Great War that I’ve read.  It captivated me as an adolescent .  It still does.

Phil

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 14:20, Jack Wyatt said:

The book by Stephen Chambers - ANZAC Sari Bair Page 56 and 57 includes advice from a soldier of the 20th Battalion AIF posted to the Nek.  In sapping forward, many of the bodies of the Light Horseman in no man's land came into reach.  Among them was the body of a Colonel.  The soldier recalls "All of this unhappy band wore pith helmets and shorts".

I understand Hughes and co ordered the 3 LH Brigade to wear pith helmets. Did Hughes and co want to mimic the British?     This is in contrast to Chauvel whose men of the !st LH Brigade are photographed wearing slouch hats or field service caps.  I believe the 2nd LH Brigade also wore slouch hats and field service caps.  

There are a few well known and not so well known photos taken before and soon after the ill fated charge at the Nek on 7 August (same day) and they indicate the men wearing a mixture of pith helmets, field service hats (with sun protection draping down at back) and slouch hats. It has been recorded by some men at Gallipoli that they preferred to wear slouch hats. Weir's movie, for the time is still very good today in my opinion, despite the obvious mistakes. The fact I live in Perth has a lot to do with it, there being so much 10th Light Horse history about. I loved the movie 'Battle of Britain', and I still understand and forgive the fact the 109's are not Messerschmitt BF 109E's and most of the Spitfires not Mk1's, Hurricane Mk1's etc etc. Rorke's Drift, Isandlwana and many other movies took a bit of license and so on I am sure.

Another excellent Gallipoli book is Tim Travers' "Gallipoli 1915". The best one for mine.

Ian

On 13/06/2019 at 21:36, phil andrade said:

That Rhodes James volume is a lovely book to possess : its actual physical constituents make it something special.  I bought it in the 1960s, and it cost me a lot of my teenager money .  

It was one of the wisest things I did : it retains its condition , and still makes me proud to see it on my shelves .

It’s dated and reflects the spirit of the times when it was written : a kind of nostalgia for the waning of British power and the narrative carries the character of the author’s Conservative tradition.

That said, I rate it as one of the best books on the Great War that I’ve read.  It captivated me as an adolescent .  It still does.

Phil

Phil and PaddyO,

Agree that there is something special about the feel of a 'Batsford' book.

Have several of their titles about Veteran and Vintage cars, just nice things to have.

Will get round to the Robert Rhodes James book, as soon as I can!

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH