Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Old Iron Wheel WW1 WW2 ?

battlecry1

Hiya Everyone,

While I was out walking on the mud at shoeburyness east beach I came across just sticking out of the mud a very rusted old iron wheel which was very heavy weighing I would think in excess of 300ib or more and estimated about 24 inches in Diameter and rim to rim about 4 inches. wondering if anyone on the forum can possibly ID this find. it was found about half a mile out on the mud and around 50 feet away from the MOD defence line... Thinking it could possibly be the wheel from a Artillery Gun ??? but think it may be to small. What do you think?? or a piece of junk....

Paul

ironwheel_zps59559e74.jpg

Looks like a flanged wheel off a small rail wagon (as used in mines, quarries, etc). If nothing of that kind existed in the area, then perhaps it was brought from elsewhere for use as a weight.

My Father living at Shoeburyness when his father a Royal Engineer ran the Engineering side of the ranges back in 1938. At that time much of the range was covered by a small miniature railway line, and this looks like a railway wheel.

Sea Anchor ??????

Sea anchors float being intended to keep a ship, in waters too deep for normal anchoring, head to wind.

Iron, flanged and that size could be either a small railway wheel or off a 19th century garrison gun carriage for a large gun mounted on a track. I would suspect the former.

Could it be one of the running wheels of a tank or other tracked vehicle - possibly an old one used as an artillery target?

Ron

The picture isn't quite clear but I wondered if it had a double flange, like a pulley, to take a solid rubber tyre.

Ron

I think none of the British tanks fitted with tires of this nature had spoked running wheels.