Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French Uniform

hmsk212

Knowing nothing at all about French Uniforms, can any of the pals please give me an idea as to which service this chap was in, was it the Army or the Gendarmerie?

Steve

Looks like 113th Infantry Regiment in early war uniform of red trousers and blue tunic/greatcoat and kepi; and probably a territorial regiment (made up of ex-national servicemen men aged 34-48) given the apparent age of the chap in the photo.

Note marching gaiters and furled shoulder straps on greatcoat.

Richard

Guest Chip Minx

Steve,

A very nice photo and Richard is right on the money. It is difficult to see if he is wearing gaiters or puttees. Can you tell from the original photo? The reason I ask is that I have two pairs of French gaiters and they are not nearly as tall as whatever this soldier is wearing.

Regards,

Chip

Steve,

The man is from the 113th Reg't d'Infantrie Territoriale-15th region-Toulon. Nothing to do with the 113 Reg't d' Infantrie.

The give away are the numbers. Regulars and Reservist Infantry had numbers in Blue for the collars and Red on Kepis'. For distinction Territorials numbers were yellow.

Joe Sweeney

Thanks for the replies, most helpful. I have attached a closeup of the leg wear which does look more like a gaiter than a puttee and appears to come to a few inches below his knee. Additional information is that the surrounding card that the photograph is mounted on has embossed on it the words " Mathieu 39, Boulevard Baille Marseille " which I assume was a photographic studio.

Steve

Guest Chip Minx

Steve,

I still cannot quite tell from the picture, but my issue gaiters are only a bit over half of the height of these. Perhaps there was a prewar pattern that was taller than my wartime dated pair.

Chip

Hi Chip

I have had a closer look under a powerful magnifying glass and I have now changed my opinion (sorry) In the enlargement I showed you the leg wear seemed smooth like a gaiter but on closer inspection of the other leg which unfortunately is too dark to scan clearly I can just about make out the pattern of puttees.

Steve