Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3rd Suffolk?

Ellen1914

Does anyone have any infomation on the 3rd Suffolks, i have been researching the Suffolk Regiment on this is the one battalion that I have become stuck on.

I would appreciate the help.

Ellen :poppy:

Hi Ellen

You will not find much on the 3rd as it was the Reserve Battalion and as such never left the UK. It was in Felixstowe for the duration of the War being used for training and for local defence.

Have you seen the book 'History of the Suffolk Regiment' by Lt Col. Murphy? I think it is still available but may be costly. If you haven't got it maybe your local library can get hold of a copy for you,

Jim

Thank you :)

The man that i am researching was in the 3rd Suffolks and then transferred to the 2nd Suffolks. But i can not find much on them either.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Ellen

My own Grandfather, Frank Sturgeon appears to have joined the 2nd Suffolks pre War according to his regimental no. The 2nd Battalion were in the Curragh, Dublin when the War broke out. The whole Division then left Ireland and the under age (my grandather was 17) were supposedly left behind in the 3rd Battalion which never left the UK.

Somehow though my grandfather arrived in France on 15 September. He must have rejoined the 2nd as they were the only Suffolk Battalion in France in September 1914.

This may not help you much, but if its correct there are a few clues! Good hunting! Iris Taylor

Thank You, you have both have been a big help. :)