Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment 6th Battalion

rksimpson

Hi all

Can someone help please with the war diary for the above regiment.

I am trying to find if the MIlitary Cross awarded to Major Nevill Swire Mann was awarded for his time at Gallipoli. It was noted in the London Gazette of 2nd February 1916 page 1337, but that just has his name, nothing else.

Would anyone be able to look in the diary and see if it mentions something about it, it would be good to find out what it was for too.

Copies would be wonderful as well.

Thanks for your time

regards

Robert

Robert

I have read the Regimental History and I will say YES.

Gallipoli was the battalion's first action and Nevill died of wounds at Gallipoli.

Harry

HI Harry

Thanks, I have sent you a PM.

regards

Robert

Robert

ROGER that - I was badly wrong and didn't read the history cosely enough. He died of wounds in Mesopotamia 5 days after the battle of Sheikh Saad.

No mention is made of his MC in the history . Looking at the movements of the battalion, Gallipoli was the only operational theatre before Mesopotamia.

MiD Medal Index Cards state that he was Mentioned in the London Gazette of 28 Jan 1916 page 2102 and in the LG of 13 Jul 16 (page number ending in 949).

His normal MIC (Ancestry erroneously shows his regiment as Lancers) states entitlement to the 1915 Star but later his brother wrote and asked for his 1914 Star. However there is no mention of Nevill in the history before the chapter on the 6th Battalion.

Sadly in the Loyal North Lancs archives in the QLR Museum there do not appear to be lists of Great War awards and relevant theatres, whilst the East & South Lancs have compiled lists.

As the 6th Bn does not appear to have fought in Mesopotamia before Sheikh Saad it is fair to assume, because of the LG date, that the MC was earned in Gallipoli where Nevill was Adjutant.

I will reply to the PM and try to send a copy of the photo I took a few years ago of the Loyals memorial wall panel at Amara. Nevill heads the list of names.

Harry

Hi Harry

Thanks for your reply and the information, pity there was no mention.

I appreciate you looking.

PM replied to also, ignore the ps.

thanks and regards

Robert

Hi Harry

Got the photo, thanks for that.

Appreciate your help

regards

Robert

Hi Robert,

As mentioned in the 'Three Mann brothers' , in the soliders forum ,I have a copy of the war diary for november with the signature of Neville S Mann as he was the major in charge of the 6th batt LNL when my great Uncle Stewart Casson was killed on 27th november at Chocolate Hill, never realised he was the sdignature till a couple of hours ago !!, could post it on here if i knew how, or can email it to you.

regards

Gary

Hi Garry

Email it to me if you like and I will see if I can post it!

regards

Robert

Hi all

Here is the page from the 6th LNL for November 1915 and a picture of the cemetery.

regards

Robert

post-49148-0-19516700-1350097682_thumb.j

post-49148-0-53020200-1350097773_thumb.j