Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

St. Andrews Church Memorial, Walsall.

Kevin Mears

Morning kevin

Just got your PM, will do.

In the meantime if you search for 'Walsall' or 'Graeme' in Forums it may answer a few questions, especially re Bytheway, I posted a pic of her somewhere.

Years ago, when I first started, I photographed St. Andrew's and some idiot had thrown a can of paint over Christ on the cross. Mindless !!

Regards,

Graeme

Could this be your Benton? Don't know if it qualifies as Birchill

Name: BENTON, ALBERT. Rank: Private

Service No: 19875. Date of Death: 14/07/1917. Age: 24

Regiment/Service: South Staffordshire Regiment. 9th Bn.

Panel Reference: Panel 35 and 37. Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Additional Information: Son of George Benton, of 47, High St., Cheslyn Hay, Walsall, Staffs.

Not saying for definate but BENTON was a Cheslyn Hay man, his family live there still. I'm not aware of any Birchills connection. If you find different I've got lots of info. His brother was also killed serving with the Australian forces so it seems unlikely unless you have a G or R BENTON listed as well.

Jon

• 4 months later...

Graeme

As you've spent many years on this, you probably know all the Names backwards, but (having re read the entire thread) I cannot find any prior mention of a BARTON, so don't quite see why you got out of shape when we were all working on the ONLY Name given by Kevin in his opening post.....

Pte. Frederick Benton, South Staffs.

So, what have you privately investigated :w00t: for this Frederick Barton, as apart from saying it's a correction, there were no other details provided :unsure:

Ive spoken to Kevin personally and he did not want any details.

(what does 'out of shape' mean or refer to then ??)

Graeme

• 3 years later...

Hi there, I know this is an old thread now but I am after any information the members who have commented might have on Jacob T Williams? He seems to be the first husband of my nan and as yet is unknown to us, until I decided to take up this family history project :) Her name was Gertrude Annie Simkiss and went in to marry Arthur Stringer. I just want to have something to tell them about him if/when I decide to break the news! I want to be sure I am right as well which is the other thing but I'm doing my best to be 100% sure. To the person who has headstone photographs, where is the memorial sight for these men? Many thanks in advance. Joanne.

• 9 months later...

Hi

One of the perils of appending to an existing thread.

Just noticed this. I have loads on the man but the OP has not been back since May.

Oh well.

Graeme

• 1 year later...