Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MM Brothers

EDWARD1

I was this morning following a branch of a family tree and arrived at a family where three brothers served in The Great War.

Upon checking their Service Records two of the brothers were awarded the Military Medal.

One brothers record I can find in the London Gazette 19/3/18 but the other I have been unable to, but there is a letter to his mother enclosing the MM " War Office authority E/303907/1(Accounts 4)" requesting acknowledgement of receipt.

Is this a rare event for two brothers to be awarded the MM ?

Eddie

I have a soldiers sports medal and both he and his brother won the MM. Both of them served in the Royal Dublin Fusiliers and both survived the war.

A dealer at a fair recently had a Boer war pair and his two sons medals, Both sons groups consisted of the MM & pair.

Also, I had a memorial plaque to a chap and whilst researching him I found that both his brothers wer awarded the MM. Not only that but, although they were fighting in competely different units, they were both gazzetted on the same day!

Neil

post-42493-0-72001100-1349540555_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...
Is this a rare event for two brothers to be awarded the MM ?

That's an interesting question and I'm not sure whether there would be a known definitive answer to it.

Just over 115,000 MMs were awarded during WW1 so there are bound to be some as mentioned already, I suspect it would be an uncommon occurence.

As an aside, I have a 3 groups of medals to 3 brothers, two of whom were KIA on the very same day in different actions serving in different regiments about 100kms apart.

I came across this snippet in a scrapbook - the publication isn't listed, only the year 1967, but I assume it may be from Soldier magazine:

"I am a regular reader of SOLDIER and was interested to read of the records of the Loft and Boast families as Old Contemptibles. My twin brothers, Harry and Alf, and myself, were all bandsmen in 1st Battalion, The Cameronians, and all of us were awarded the Military Medal and were mentioned in despatches. We also served during World War Two. L M Ash, 34 Rose Street, Carnoustie, Angus, Scotland."

So possibly three brothers all of whom awarded the MM. I haven't had a chance to check it out, but an interesting claim!

Barrie

• 3 weeks later...

My Grandfather & one of his brothers won the MM.He was in the 2/Middx Regt, London Gazette Jan 1917,his brother was in the 3/Rifle Brigade,London Gazette August 1917.

Few details of how my Grandad won his award & nothing at all on his brothers award.

Mark