Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap or lapel badge

Nick Smith

Hi, the evenings are drawing in so it's time to restart the research! I have two photos of badges (for want of a better term) both believed to be from the Wilthsire Regiment - well one certainly is, it says it on it! I've had a quick search of the internet but can't find anything quite like them. They belonged to my wife's grandfather who served in the Wilts Regiment in 1914-18. I've found info about the lettering AEA (Alfred Ernest Albert) post-86482-0-11865200-1349361469_thumb.jpost-86482-0-55842500-1349361481_thumb.jon one but I'm not sure what the OCA represents? The second appears to have a griffin (or more like if it is Wilts, a Wyvern - not sure of the connection but the theatre in Swindon is the Wyvern!)

Can anyone give me some info about these 'badges' are they cap/lapel, were they standard issue or commemorative etc.

Thanks in advance

Nick

Does the left-hand-one have the China dragon in the centre? I can't quite tell, but if so would that mean it's The Duke of Edinburgh's Royal Regiment (Berks & Wilts), so post-1958?

The first one is, indeed, a No.2 Dress (Parade Dress) collar badge of the Duke of Edinburgh's Royal Regiment (Berkshire & Wiltshire) 1959-94.

It is a right lapel badge too as the dragon faces inwards.

I've just realised it also has the rope from the Berkshire's badge, too.

The first one is, indeed, a No.2 Dress (Parade Dress) collar badge of the Duke of Edinburgh's Royal Regiment (Berkshire & Wiltshire) 1959-94.

It is a right lapel badge too as the dragon faces inwards.

So this was presumably given to/bought by him as a former member of the regiment? Even taking the earlier date of 1959 he would have been 64 yrs old so didn't 'earn' it at that point.