Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wanting information on a German Officer

N.S.Regt.

A friend of mine picked up a Imperial Navy officers sword and it appears to be a high quality peice. It has a great lion head with a lot of detail and red and green eyes. The grip is ivory and triple wire wrapped it has a folding clamshell and langet. The blade is damascus and the Scabbard has etched fittings a real nice peice. The sword is named, the name appearing on the reverse of the langet which is only the last "Schwede". Is there a list of German navy officers that would give any idea who this man could be I know it is a long shot but he would like to put a full name with the sword. Any information would be welcome.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

N.S. Regt,

There's actually a series of books on Imperial German naval officers. The most typically used is "Ehrenrangliste der Kaiserlich Deutschen Marine", published in 1930 which includes all WWI German naval officers. There were also similiar yearly editions published prewar. All are rare. A list of WWI german naval officers is available though online at http://home.foni.net/~adelsforschung1/rall10.htm -- obviously if he only served prewar, he wouldn't be included.

"Schwede" doesn't appear in the online list. I can't say I'm surprised, as it's rather unlikely that "Schwede" is a last name. In German, "Schweden" is Sweden and a "Schwede" is a Swede.

Best wishes,

Michael

Okay, let's try this again -- a little brain fade. There was a Walter Schwede, a Kapitänleutnant, that served in WWI. I was looking under the "Sw", not "Schw" -- duh.

Best wishes,

Michael

Michael

Many thanks for the Information I had checked out the website it is a wealth of information Great link. My friend will no doubt be very pleased. Is it possible to trace this man to a ship or base I do not know if the German navy records still survive. I had tried myself for men serving in the German Army with no luck I had 11 dog tags which I tried to get more information on. I noticed that there is only one Schwede, the man you mentioned, so this is most likley the owner of the sword. At least he can put the mans name with this great peice. He is still not sure if he wants to get it the Imperial Navy but he has been looking to buy a named officer cap also the sword is a great peice to start with.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

N.S.Regt.,

Yes, the "Ehrenrangliste der Kaiserlich Deutschen Marine" includes information on officers' wartime service. It should contain a list of ships he served on/commanded (destroyers and submarines, for example, were often commanded by a Kapitänleutnant) as well as any staff assignments. I don't own a copy but a friend of mine does and I have pasted along your request.

Many Imperial Navy records survive, including the war diaries of individual ships and their parent flotillas. Copies are available on microfilm from the U.S. National Archives and Records Administration.

Best wishes,

Michael

Michael

Again many thanks, I am sure my friend will contact the U.S. National Archives as having all this information will go great with his sword. Looking forward in finding out what your friend comes up with. It would be interesting to find him as a U-boote or destroyer comander.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

N.S.Regt.,

The "Ehrenrangliste der Kaiserlich Deutschen Marine" listing in its entirety:

30.10.1887 Geboren

00.04.1906 Diensteintritt

Gneisenau, Wachoffizier bis 12.14

England, POW bis 12.16

Schweiz, Interniert bis 9.17

Reichs Marine Amt, Abteilung für U-Bootswesen, dann in der Abteilung für militärische Fragen bis Ende

Ausser Dienst 30.05.21

To translate, born, October 30, 1887. Entered naval service April 1906. Watch officer on SMS Gneisenau at the time of her sinking in December 1914. A very lucky man, Schwede became a POW. From December 1916 to September 1917, he was interned in Switzerland. After his release, he served in several staff positions. Out of military service May 30, 1921.

Hope this helps,

Michael

Michael

Again thanks you have really come through I am sure he will be very pleased with the information. I was reading that out of her crew that was rescued only 187 survived he was a lucky man. I have seen POW art made by POWs from the SMS Nurnberg which a number of men were interned here in Amherst Nova Scotia. He should be able to gather a good amount of material to desplay with the sword.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

N.S. regt,

My contact provided some additional information:

From the Rangliste 1913:

II. T.D. zugleich Kompagnieoffizier bei X. Halbflottille

19.9.12 Oberleutnant zur See

Rangliste 1916: EK.2

So assigned to a torpedo boat/destroyer unit in about 1912-13 but not senior enough to command a vessel, and promoted to Oblt.z.S on September 19, 1912. Promotion to Kplt would have happened late war or even postwar. Schwede was awarded the Iron Cross, Second Class in (by) 1916, presumably for his service on Gneisenau.

Besr wishes,

Michael

Michael

Thanks again also as I forgot the last time give a thankyou to your friend. What a interesting story to go with the sword what a great find for him.

Best Regards

N.S.Regt.