Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is this a Record?

Peter Zieminski

Currently on Ebay (Item number: 360492839407) is a photograph of an elderly Lance Corporal sporting what appears to be 12 Good Conduct Chevrons on his Jacket - I think that 4 represented 18 years Good Conduct so heaven knows how many years this soldier has in!

Possibly a Territorial, or maybe a Special Reservist?

I don't think Regulars could get more than six, and even to serve that long a man would usually mean that the man was a substantive NCO, and hence no longer eligible for GC badges.

But it isn't my speciality and I could be wrong!

Ron

The guy has been made prematurely old by carrying around the weight of gold braid on his sleeve. As we used to say in the navy '4 years of undetected crime'.

impressive! looks likely a territorial shoulder badge - Northumberland Fusiliers maybe?? just the sort of old soldier who might be mentioned in the regimental journal as the oldest living fusilier - boy soldier in the Crimea maybe!

I think he may be a Royal Inniskilling Fusilier, as his top button appears to bear a Castle. - The Shoulder title may include a fused Grenade as worn by Fusilier Regiments, rather than a territorial T title.

As for his Medal ribbons, I believe they are the Indian General Service Medal 1854; Queen's South Africa Medal; Dehli Durbar or Coronation 1911; and LSGC (post 1917). (bear in mind that B&W photography plays tricks with apparent ribbon colours)

Either way he has either had a very hard life or is quite ancient..... May be he is recruiting staff. An impressive photo...

Sepoy