Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Crelake Barracks, Tavistock

ddycher

All

Am slowly working my way through the Devon and Cornwall Bde Prov. Bn. (later the 86th Prov. Bn) time in Tavistock 1915~1916. Whilst at Tavistock they were stationed at the above barracks. Does anyone have any detail on it ? Would be much appreciated.

Regards

Dave

It is a former TA Centre located in Battery Lane, Tavistock, originally occupied by Artillery, Yeomanry & TF units, which closed for operational use in 1992. Part of the Barracks are used today by the Tavistock ACF and ATC units.

Photo:

http://jeffreymoody.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Tidy-Tavy-0111.jpg

Dave

Dave

Thanks for the quick response.

Much appreciated.

Regards

Dave

• 9 years later...

Coming back to this. Does anyone have any information on the Stone Posts Drill Hall, Rocky Hill, Tavistock which was purchased and opened in 1913. Would appreciate any insights.

Regards

Dave

This website has 'Drill Hall, Rocky Hill, Tavistock, PL19 0DZ': https://westdevon.gov.uk/media/2235/West-Devon-Reliefs-as-of-15-May-2017/xls/West_Devon_Reliefs_as_at_15_May_2017.xlsx. If you look at the area on a modern street view, the building certainly looks ... old. I can't find a map which shows the name.

Acknown

Addition: I've also found this company: Plymouth Rubber Hose & Hydraulics, Drill Hall, Rocky Hill, Tavistock, Devon PL19 0DZ.

Edited by Acknown

Thanks Acknown

I know Stone Posts was acquired by the Devon TFA in June 1913 and was used as a drill hall until well after WW2. Given how long it was a functioning drill hall though I have almost no information on it. My interest lies in the fact that on its opening the HQ of A Coy., 5th Devons moved there from Millbay, Plymouth and retaining a detachment in Plymouth. I have been trying, and failing, to find out more about what was happening there during mobilisation in August 1914.

thanks

Dave

Acknown

Saw 38 West Street on the Drill Hall Project. Never understood it. Everything I have shows A Coy at Stone Posts and 3rd Devonshire Battery at Crelake. Going to take another look.

Regards

Dave

Acknown

I think I found the source for the Drill Hall ref. Kelly's Directory (1914) in its summary of the 5th Devons lists 38 West St. However in the Tavistock detail it states 58 West St. as the HQ of A Coy. 58 is Stone Posts.

Regards

Dave

Aha. That looks like an outcome. Tavistock is not mentioned in any history of the Devons that I own.

Acknown