Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canada and 2014

healdav

I have just been told that the Canadian commemorators are already in discussion with the French government over plans to bring 100,000 people to commemorate Vimy.

I am fairly incredulous at the number, but apparently it is so. They are planning special trains (at least 200, I would think). What they are doing about accommodation, I have no idea.

Anyone wanting to go to northern France in 2014 would be well advised to book a hotel room now!

What they are all going to do once there, I have not yet been told.

Interesting- was told when visited that Vimy Ridge is Canadian soil as given to Canada by the French government after the end of the Great War. But then due to the affinity between France and Canada, not completely surprised that so many people would come over. But I thought that 2017 would be the more likely time for a gathering of Canadians at Vimy.

Regards

I agree about 2017, but I was definitely told 2014, by the brother of the guy who is doing the organising, and its not the first time I've heard it from his sister also.

100,000 leaves me gasping. Special trains, by the convoy, hotel rooms; you name it, they have to do it.

Reference Post No 3 above, actually it is French soil but administered by VAC; just as CWGC cemeteries belong to national governments (certainly the case in Belgium and France and I assume for everywhere else) but are administered by the CWGC. This is for legal reasons - much easier for home government to deal with any issues that might arise - eg vandalism, access etc. The effect is rather the same as if they were Canadian, CWGC 'soil', but technically they are not. So, originally fully donated and then this was amended by inter governmental agreements subsequently.

Yes, I wasn't doubting that you were told 2014 and relayed the information correctly to GWF: So if 100,000 visitors from Canada are arriving in 2014- there could be even more in April 2017 !.

Regards

Michael Bully

I agree about 2017, but I was definitely told 2014, by the brother of the guy who is doing the organising, and its not the first time I've heard it from his sister also.

100,000 leaves me gasping. Special trains, by the convoy, hotel rooms; you name it, they have to do it.

Thanks for the confirmation Nigel.. I had told an e mail buddy of mine in Vancouver that I had set foot on Canadian soil whilst at Vimy ! But should have done a bit more research ! Regards.

Reference Post No 3 above, actually it is French soil but administered by VAC; just as CWGC cemeteries belong to national governments (certainly the case in Belgium and France and I assume for everywhere else) but are administered by the CWGC. This is for legal reasons - much easier for home government to deal with any issues that might arise - eg vandalism, access etc. The effect is rather the same as if they were Canadian, CWGC 'soil', but technically they are not. So, originally fully donated and then this was amended by inter governmental agreements subsequently.

• 4 years later...

Here is an active link from CBC so that should tell you whether you can view one:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/tomahawk-missiles-fired-from-u-s-warship-in-the-mediterranean-sea-1.4059852

Thanks all, there's seems to be zero coverage on UK 'terrestrial' TV.

Looks as if the live stream might not have any regional restrictions, normal stream of CBC is blocked.

The BBC news showed the flypast this morning, bit about the aircraft here.

B.C.-built replica WW1 planes land in France for Vimy Ridge centennial

Also saw a Tweet that Google have added Vimy Ridge

Google Maps launches street view for Vimy Ridge, Beaumont Hamel