Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Coronation/Jubilee/Delhi Durbar medal Rolls

JJBlue

If there such lists for the above and someone has acess to them, would they be kind enough to see if my grandfather appears on them:

Gunner William Frederick Orchard

No. 63194

His medal card (online) shows following:

15 Star RHA Roll 1AB4 292

Victory RFA Roll 349B 50167

British RFA Roll 349B 50167

Theatre of War - 3 Date 31 March 1915

So I'm assuming he was originally in the RHA pre 1915

I've recently got his medals and ribbons and the ribbon (without the medal) has been identified (on another forum) as potentially the Delhi Durbar 1911 medal ribbon, or the 1911 Coronation Medal ribbon, which I understand is identical.

It was suggested that someone on here may be able to check the rolls to see if his name appears?

Many thanks in advance for any assistence.

After checking the on-line medal roll, and the published medal roll for the Delhi Durbar Medal 1911, I can advise that no one of the number, name unit

that you indicated was ever awarded a Delhi Durbar Medal 1911.

The only 'Orchard's' of the British Army that gained the Durbar Medal 1911 were;

- Sergt W.F. Orchard, 17 Lancers

- Corpl H. Orchard, 10 Hussars

As information

Thanks for looking this up - so now i'm even more confused.

He had the coloured ribbon on the simply 4 ribbon band along with the 3 WW1 medals. The same ribbon appears alongside one of the WW1 medals, but the actual medal is missing.

He is missing from the 1911 UK census and my father (who was in India during WW2) always said his father had been out there previously.

I have two hardback books handed down called "The King and Queen in India 1911-12" and "The Land of the Rupee" both published by Bennet Coleman in 1912.

The circumstantial evidence is that he was there at the time, but he doesnt appear on either the Coronation or DD rolls?

Any other ideas?

Many thanks for taking the time to assist

John