Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

black arm bands - and OTC officers

Moonraker

post-6017-0-97572700-1349084139_thumb.jp

I suspect that this sort of question has been asked before, but these six men of the "CUOTC" (presumably Cambridge University OTC) at summer camp are wearing black armbands on their left sleeves; most look too mature to be students.

I imagine that the bands indicate that they are "directing staff", umpires or whatever, with roles that gave them some sort of authority - if only oversight - of the activities of other OTC units in camp? And perhaps the white cap-bands indicate that the men are attached to a particular "force" (side) on manoeuvres?

I also imagine that a century ago most (all?) OTC officers had served in the Regular Army, Volunteers or Territorials?

And I wonder about the interaction between OTC members and those of the Regular Army - or even Territorial Force? Perhaps a Regulars' lieutenant was a bit diffident about a university lecturer who was a captain. And no doubt a Regulars' private wasn't impressed by an OTC sergeant?

Moonraker

these six men of the "CUOTC" (presumably Cambridge University OTC) at summer camp are wearing black armbands on their left sleeves; most look too mature to be students.

perhaps the white cap-bands indicate that the men are attached to a particular "force" (side) on manoeuvres?

Moonraker

Moonraker,

White cap bands were also worn by Officer Cadets of the Officer Cadet Battalions ( OCB ), which these men may have been, and Cambridge University were part of the Household Brigade OCB - No.2 OCB - Pembroke College, Cambridge, No.5 OCB - Trinity College, Cambridge and Garrison OCB - Jesus College, Cambridge.

The armbands look to be black, and could also be another colour ?

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-14517700-1349096078_thumb.j

post-63666-0-20029900-1349096092_thumb.j

Just a thought that it may have been taken in 1912 during the Grand Maneuvers. I believe Blue Army's HQ were at Trinity, and indeed the King stayed in Cambridge. Red Army attacked from the north if I remember correctly.

Kevin