Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown Medal Ribbon

JJBlue

My grandfather served in the RHA and RFA in WW1.

I've seen a copy of his medal roll card (same service number as on reverse of medal) which shows he served in Area 3 (31 March 1915). Is that Egypt?

It also shows 3 medal entitlements:

1915 Star (RHA)

Victor (RFA)

British (RFA)

My problem is that I've recently come across the actual medals and a ribbon band. The medals are on two separate strips one of which has one medal with a ribbon next to it which is dark blue with two vertical red stripes. There is no actual medal.

The separate ribbon bar has 4 ribbons on it, one each for the Star, Victory and British medals and the same dark blue one with two vertical stripes. To give a better picture, the closest I can find to it, is the Indian Distinguished Service Medal, but only if you put a thin blue line down the middle of the red.

Can anyone shed some light on what this might be?

Family history suggests he was wounded with shrapnel at some time, so could this be something for that.

Many thanks for any assistence

Have you looked at Coronation/Jubilee/Delhi Durbar medals? You'll find all the ribbons on line somewhere.

It does sound like Delhi Durbar

I think that Bob is correct in that this could be the Delhi Durbar 1911 medal ribbon, or equally it could be the 1911 Coronation Medal ribbon, which is identical. I am sure if you ask nicely in a new posting, that someone with the roll for the D/D 1911 may be able to check this out for you. I am not sure if there is a roll for the 1911 Coronation.

Do you know if your grandfather served in India circa 1911? If you post his full name/rank/service number and any other details, then some information should be forthcoming. :thumbsup:

Many thanks for the replies gents. The colouring certainly fits for either of those two.

My father (who was in the RAF in India in WW2), always thought his father served in India as well, but I've been unable to find his service record to prove it. I'm also sure he was in the RHA before WW1, and since I've been unable to locate him on the 1911 Census in the UK this could therefore start to make sense.

Will do as you suggest and start another post regarding roll.

Again many thanks for the help - much appreciated

http://www.mycollectors.co.uk/StockPhotos/Medals/Delhi-Durbar-1911.jpg

This is the Delhi Durbar Medal - the ribbon of the 1911 Coronation Medal was identical. There is a published roll (by Peter Duckers) in Four volumes, but it can be hard to find. All the medals are also in a roll at the Public Record Office.

what is his service number? If below 60000 or so then quite possibly a pre1911 enlistment for RFA/RHA - also check the 1911 census? these include artillery units in India.

• 7 years later...

Its taken a long time, but since he re-enlisted after the war I've got a copy of his service record from Gasgow and whilst the quality is not great...

He enlisted in Royal Sussex Special Reserve in Aug 1910 (no. 1120)

He joined the RHA 11 Nov 1910 (no 63194) in C Battery

He was transferred to Y battery in Oct 1912 when he went to India

Transferred to E in Apr 1914 and back to Y in Aug 14

He returned to England in Nov 1914 and was posted to the Med in Mar 1915

He was in Egypt, then at Gallipolli, then in France (Somme, Amiens) and was wounded/shot in action in 1918.

He was discharged in 1922 but re-enlisted 3 weeks later.

He was finally discharged in 1926, but the record doesn't show him going anywhere

If he wasnt in India in 1911 when the Coronation Medal and the Dehli Dunbar Medal was issued, why would he have a ribbon the same colour as those medals?

Any ideas - anyone?

Pictures below

Thanks

WFO Medals (2).jpg

22 minutes ago, JJBlue said:

If he wasnt in India in 1911 when the Coronation Medal and the Dehli Dunbar Medal was issued, why would he have a ribbon the same colour as those medals?

WFO Medals (2).jpg

As previously identified, the ribband used for both the 1911 Delhi Durbar and Coronation Medals is identical, and that is clearly what is present here. In the case of the Coronation Medal a man didn't even need to be present at the Coronation itself to potentially be awarded it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delhi_Durbar_Medal_(1911)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_George_V_Coronation_Medal

It is not impossible that as he was serving at the time he considered himself entitled to the medal even if he was never actually awarded it...