Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Which is the best informative book...?

Ivor

Sorry if this has been covered before.

If I could only buy one book on each subject, two at the most, which would be the best buy(s) for information on i) uniforms, and ii) weapons, for both sides.

Your views and recommendations are most gratefully received.

Thanks,

Ivor

Dr Stephen Bull's 'The British Army of World War One' has a good combination of research and illustrations of both uniforms and weapons, along with a good overview of the units. I think he is the Curator of the Royal Armouries in Leeds, and you can pick up copies on ebay for under a tenner.

I believe he is going to have /has a similar book out on the German Army, among various other titles.

Richard

Ivor

You might want to get your hands on the following:

"World War I Infantry in Colour Photographs" by Laurent Mirouze.

ISBN 1861262884 Crowood Press Price £10.95 In Print

As the title suggests, this just covers infantry uniforms, but it includes all nations fighting on the Western and Eastern Fronts. It's basically front and back photographs of full uniforms -that is original surviving uniforms and equipment worn by live models- together with explanations of each item and a brief historical context.

"Army Uniforms of World War One" by Andrew Mollo and Pierre Turner.

Blandford Press Various ISBNs Various Prices as now out of print

This covers all nations and all arms of service (including Flying units, but not naval) who served on the Western and Eastern Fronts. The uniforms are presented as full figures on colour plates, each figure being taken from an original WWI photograph and then accurately hand coloured. The explanatary notes at the end are fairly good as well. A great book, but now fairly hard to find (try eBay or www.bookfinder.com) and consequently fairly expensive -I paid £30 for my copy, which had me kicking my own a*se as I gave my old copy away when I was a kid.....

For the British and German armies, go with Richard's recommendation for Stephen Bull's volumes. The German volume is "World War One: German Army" ISBN 1857532716 -as Richard says, try eBay or Naval and Military Press to pick this up cheaply.

Although it defeats your initial object of only buying one book, you might want to consider the Osprey range of uniform books. Visit www.ospreypublishing.co.uk to see quite a good range covering most armies of WWI -the German Army and the British Army are currently being given extended treatment, three volumes on the Germans and a similiar series on the Brits. Generally, Osprey books are reasonably priced and fairly accurate.

Hope this has all been of some help, all the best

Paul.

• 5 weeks later...
"Army Uniforms of World War One" by Andrew Mollo and Pierre Turner.

Blandford Press Various ISBNs Various Prices as now out of print

This covers all nations and all arms of service (including Flying units, but not naval) who served on the Western and Eastern Fronts. The uniforms are presented as full figures on colour plates, each figure being taken from an original WWI photograph and then accurately hand coloured. The explanatary notes at the end are fairly good as well. A great book, but now fairly hard to find (try eBay or www.bookfinder.com) and consequently fairly expensive -I paid £30 for my copy, which had me kicking my own a*se as I gave my old copy away when I was a kid.....

Hope this has all been of some help, all the best

Paul.

Paul,

Just to let you know, I took your advice and went on eBay. I have just bought "Army Uniforms of World War One" by Andrew Mollo and Pierre Turner for £7:50 plus £2:00 postage.

Also I have bought 3 books from Osprey - all excellent.

Thanks for your help.

Ivor