Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pickelhauben

Conor Dodd

I bought a Pickelhauben yesterday a soldier brought it back to Inchicore, Dublin in 1914/15 later went back to the front and was killed I haven't had a major problem with him, the problem is I haven't got a clue how to research German soldiers the name on the Pickelhauben is G or C Beten an umlaut, is that how you spell it is on the e) that is my best guess on it. There are other markings e.g. printed in ink IR6 ? and a number written 14950 I think ( there are ink stampings and handwriting all on top of each other so any ideas on how to find out some information ? Will post a picture if possible.

Conor

Hi Conor

I'm not sure if you have had any private replies to your querie , but if not then post up a few pic's of your new spiked helmet and I will see if I can help . I have an unpublished book that I bought off a p/haube expert a few years ago that goes into a lot of detail on units who wore specific helmets . If you could post a close up pic of the helmet plate and of the kokarden on the strap lugs , and also one of the overall helmet , I'll see if I can help .

Cheers

Phil.