Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd battalion Essex Regiment

Edwardreed

I am looking for any information on my great uncle Edward George Reed, he died of wounds on 20th april 1918. He was a private and his number was 46657, this info was found on Ancestry. Are there any diaries i could read to find out the circumstances of his death and what battle he would have been in. Thanks for any help Pat

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the link Mike. Am currently researching my Great Grandfather who was awarded the M.C. but we don't know why. Waiting on the arrival of a copy of his death certificate so that I can get his record from the M.O.D. Hopefully there will be a mention in the diaries somewhere.

Hi both,

I have transcribed the complete War Diary of the 2nd Battalion Essex Regiment, if you are interested I can send you a copy once you have reached 10 posts and can PM me your email adress.

I'm afraid there is no mention of your Great Uncle in the War Diary Pat, sorry.

Cheers,

Michael

Hi Michael. I have the diary for April 1918. There is no service record for the soldier I am researching Pte 203208 Wm McIntosh, so I have as yet no idea when he actually joined the 2nd Essex. If I find a definite date, I may take you up on your kind offer.

Cheers Mike

Hi both,

I have transcribed the complete War Diary of the 2nd Battalion Essex Regiment, if you are interested I can send you a copy once you have reached 10 posts and can PM me your email adress.

Cheers,

Michael

Hi Michael

It is quite a struggle reading the handwriting on some of the entries, lol. Is your version typed rather than hand written and, if so, could you check for my Great Grandfather please? During WW1 he was 5120 Serjeant-Major R. A. Baldwin. Apart from his MC (awarded June 1915) he was M.I.D. twice (April 1915 and March 1918). I will carry on reading through the diary but it would be handy to know

Thanks in advance

Paul

Hi Paul,

No mention of your Great Grandfather in the War Diary I'm afraid. Neither in the official history.

I've transcribed the complete War Diary which means it is typed in Word. Indeed, far easier to read than the written entries. ^_^

My Grandfather was a platoon sergeant of C Company 2nd Bn. Essex Regiment, he might have known your Great Grandfather.....they

certainly both fought in the second battle of Ypres!

Cheers,

Michael

Hi Paul,

No mention of your Great Grandfather in the War Diary I'm afraid. Neither in the official history.

I've transcribed the complete War Diary which means it is typed in Word. Indeed, far easier to read than the written entries. ^_^

My Grandfather was a platoon sergeant of C Company 2nd Bn. Essex Regiment, he might have known your Great Grandfather.....they

certainly both fought in the second battle of Ypres!

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks for looking. There's a couple of events mentioned which look to be likely candidates. Captain L. O. W. Jones gained his D.S.O. at the same time so I'm assuming that it was the same event that saw them both awarded their medals. Sent a few shivers down my spine seeing Jones' signature whilst reading the diaries. If I find anything of interest in my GGF's record I'll post it on here. The keeper of the Essex Regiment Museum is quite eager for a copy. The further I dig into his history the more I want to know. :D

• 2 months later...

Hi Michael,

I am just wondering if you wouldn't mind looking at your 2nd Batt Essex war diary for an Arthur Beatwell 7855, who was KIA 18 November 1914. Any information for that date, or the war diary entry would be fab! Many thanks in advance,

Alie.

• Admin

Hi Alie

Here are the entries:

Nov 17

A quiet day. D Company relieved A in trenches around LEGHEER.

Nov 18. 9am.

A Company (Reserve) shelled in farm on edge of PLOEGSTEERT WOOD loosing[sic] 6 killed and 14 wounded.

So it looks like he was in A Company. As skipman posted above, the diary is available to download for £3.36 if you want to follow his footsteps as he would likely to have gone out at the start given how long he had already been serving http://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.co.uk/2008/08/army-service-numbers-in-essex-regiment.html

Glen

Hi Alie,

Good to hear from you even though I'm too late in answering your question. ;) I'm afraid there is nothing from Burrows to add to the War Diary entries.

Cheers,

Michael

Looks as though two of the wounded also died as there are 8 casualties in 2nd Essex for that day.

BARNES, FREDERICK CHARLES Corporal 8478 18/11/1914 Essex Regiment United Kingdom Panel 7. PLOEGSTEERT MEMORIAL

BEANEY, CHARLES THOMAS Private 10221 18/11/1914 Essex Regiment United Kingdom Panel 7. PLOEGSTEERT MEMORIAL

BEATWELL, ARTHUR GEORGE Lance Corporal 7855 18/11/1914 28 Essex Regiment United Kingdom Joint grave II. R. 4-5. TROIS ARBRES CEMETERY, STEENWERCK

BRIDGER, HARRY Lance Corporal 7988 18/11/1914 Essex Regiment United Kingdom Panel 7. PLOEGSTEERT MEMORIAL

DALE, BRIAN Private 8994 18/11/1914 26 Essex Regiment United Kingdom Panel 7. PLOEGSTEERT MEMORIAL

NEWELL, BERTIE Private 7907 18/11/1914 Essex Regiment United Kingdom Panel 7. PLOEGSTEERT MEMORIAL

PERRY, CHARLES BAXTER Private 7763 18/11/1914 Essex Regiment United Kingdom Panel 7. PLOEGSTEERT MEMORIAL

WOOLSTON, HERBERT WALTER Private 10013 18/11/1914 Essex Regiment United Kingdom Panel 7. PLOEGSTEERT MEMORIAL

BEATWELL, ARTHUR GEORGE. Rank: Lance Corporal. Service No: 7855. Date of Death: 18/11/1914. Age: 28.

Regiment/Service: Essex Regiment. 2nd Bn.

Grave Reference: Joint grave II. R. 4-5. Cemetery: TROIS ARBRES CEMETERY, STEENWERCK

Additional Information: Son of George and Emma Beatwell, of Stock Rd., West Hanningfield Chelmsford. His brother Ernest Beatwell also fell.

Steenwerck village remained untouched for much of the First World War, but on 10 April 1918 it was captured by the Germans and remained in their possession until the beginning of October. Trois-Arbres passed into German hands a day later than Steenwerck, after a rearguard defence by the 34th Division.

The site for Trois Arbres Cemetery was chosen for the 2nd Australian Casualty Clearing Station in July 1916, and Plot 1 and the earlier rows of Plot II, were made and used by that hospital until April 1918. A few further burials were made in the cemetery after the German withdrawal at the end of 1918 and after the Armistice, over 700 graves were brought into it from the battlefields of Steenwerck, Nieppe, Bailleul and Neuve-Eglise.

Graves from the following graveyards were concentrated into Trois-Arbres Cemetery:-.

DOUANE CEMETERY, NEUVE-EGLISE, at the Custom House on the road from Neuve-Eglise to Nieppe, contained the graves of 15 soldiers from Canada and four from the United Kingdom who fell in 1915-16.

FORTRIE FARM CEMETERY, NEUVE-EGLISE, 1.6Kms West of the hamlet of Le Romarin, contained the graves of 27 soldiers from the United Kingdom who fell in November and December 1914.

LINEN FACTORY CEMETERY, BAC-ST. MAUR. This was a row of graves in Steenwerck commune, in the angle formed by the river Lys, the road from Bac-St. Maur to Croix-du-Bac, and Edwards's Linen Factory. In it were buried 20 soldiers from the United Kingdom, one from India and seven Germans.

There are now 1,704 Commonwealth servicemen of the First World War buried or commemorated in this cemetery. 435 of the burials are unidentified but there are special memorials to ten casualties known or believed to be buried among them.

From the Cemetery information, it would seem that Arthur was initially buried elsewhere, probably Fortrie, which may help location in relation to that days fighting. It might be reasonable to assume that his 7 comrades may also have been buried alongside, but when later re-interred no positive identification could be made. Perhaps there are six Known Unto God burials alongside Arthur even now (it seems he shares a joint grave with one other chum) but who is who would be impossible to say....

Alie, were you also aware about Ernest?

Thanks so much guys! Long time no chat Michael!! Really appreciate your reply..

Kevin, I am aware of Ernest, thank you so much, any info would be appreciated... I am just in the middle of doing my dissertation to hand in, on May 3rd. I am talking about the experiences that were or were not typical during the First World War, for my village. I know that Arthur and Ernest were two of twelve children, although one had died, (pre-war). Arthur was the first of twelve that died in our village, I think. Trawling through the Essex Chronicle records for any info, plus have done loads at the NA but lacking war diary entries, so I think I will be asking for more over the next few months. Very interesting about your thoughts on his 7 comrades, and I had seen on CWGC that his grave was probably moved. I did not however know, that he shared a joint grave. Thanks so much for your help,

Alie.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I also have a great uncle who was a Lance Corporal in the 2nd. Bn. Essex, and he died of wounds on 21 November 1914, shortly after Arthur Beatwell above. - He was 8484, Thomas Edward Weal. Buried at Boulogne Eastern Cemetery. If anyone has any additional information regarding his likely movements, from war diaries or suchlike, I would be very grateful. I know he was involved in the 1st battle of Ypres, but I don't know when he was likely to have been wounded. Clearly didn't have a very long war, and I'm not sure whether this was a good or a bad thing! His brother fought on the Somme (Royal Fusiliers) and died in March 1917.

Jim

Hi Jim,

I can provide you with the relevant entries of the War Diary and from the history of the 2nd Battalion.

Problem is that I need you email address and you can't p.m. me until you've run up 10 posts on the forum.

So, ask some more questions and add some more information about your great uncle and I'll be happy to send the information to you a.s.a.p.

Cheers,

Michael

Hi Michael,

Many thanks for your response. As you've gathered, I'm new to this!

My great uncle was born in Ilford, Essex on December 8 1888. I believe he was a regular soldier prior to the war, as the 1911 census shows him in India (Overseas Military). I think he landed at Le Havre on 28 August 1914, but I'm not sure of the movements thereafter.

He also had a younger brother, Charles Arthur Weal (Pte 1765), who joined the Royal Fusiliers, 23rd Sportsman's Battalion, shortly after Thomas Edward's death. Not an unusual process, I expect.

I don't know the conventions here, but if it's permitted, I'm quite happy to be contacted on my personal email address of jimweal@hotmail.com. Any information would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Jim

• 2 months later...

Hi Michael,

My great-grandfather, William John Coplen (Regt no. 8742) was a serving member of the 2nd Essex Regiment from 1905 through to 1918. He was gassed in 1915. The 1911 Census shows him in Quetta, India with the regiment. I would be very grateful if you could share your transcription of the War Diary as I've always wondered what my great-grandfather experienced during the war as he emerged from it a broken man.

Many thanks in advance.

All good wishes,

Richard.

Hi Richard,

If your great grandfather was in Quetta in 1911 he was part of the 1st Battalion the Essex Regiment at the time, not the 2nd. The 2nd Bn. was quartered in Ireland at that time. So apparently he was transferred to the 2nd Bn. sometime before 1914. Served his time and rejoined in England?? Taken ill and sent back to England? Who knows.

I can send you the transcribed War Diary of the 2nd Battalion, but need an email adress as you cannot pm me till you've run up 10 posts on the Forum.

Cheers,

Michael

Hi Michael,

Sorry for the delayed response. I am attaching some records to do with my great-grandfather's time in the Essex Regiment:

Image 2

post-99112-0-10288900-1368874275_thumb.j

post-99112-0-43906700-1368874325_thumb.j

The last image was taken from the 1911 Military Census. The only thing is I don't know where this Census was taken, but becuase I know the Essex Regt was in Quetta then and becuase two people listed on the same page (Barnes-Cook and Cooper) were absent at Lahore and Ahmednarger and Davidson was "en-route to England", I assumed this census was taken in India.

I would be very grateful for any information you might have on William John Coplen and also, if you could send me the war diary transcription.

My email address is: richcoplen@hotmail.com

Thanks once again.

Kindest regards,

Richard.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi both,

Cheers,

Michael

Hi Michael - have just noticed your access to the 2nd Essex War Diary and respectfully seek your help. Am researching 2nd Lt Philip James Barrell who joined the battalion I believe 23rd- 26th March 1915 and was killed 1st May 1915. Is there any mention of him in the Diaries in that 5 week period? e.g did he bring in a draft of men when he joined? Company? any actions? burial location? I am well informed about him prior to that period but know nothing of his time with the 2nd Essex. Thankyou - Stilllearning

Hi

Not wishing to take take Michael's thunder, I will try to answer your query. He has not been on the Forum for a couple of weeks but may be able to answer in more detail when he again returns.

It looks like he joined on the 25th. if I read it correctly

post-10072-0-53633300-1371308623_thumb.j

Nothing else apparent until his death

post-10072-0-79434200-1371308820_thumb.j

Regards,

Graeme