Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

decipher

madman

Hi all whilst researching a soldier i came across somthing that makes no sense to me 'entitled to livo G L badges ' i may have read this wrong but thats how it seems can anyone make sense of this cheers ALL

Regards nathan

sorry gents image to large to upload , but after reading and from what chris said it definatly looks to be' two G L badges ' now my question is what are these

cheers all for your time in understanding my ignorance

best regards nathan

A single G L badge could be a gunlayer's proficiency badge but I don't think you could get more than one.

I still think that it shouldv be G C - the letter C in cursive script of the time usually started with an upward loop.

Ron

Hi madman

this is from Victorian wars forum-

Good conduct badges (they were chevrons worn point up on the lower sleeve) were awarded to soldiers after a given amount of time for each badge of an individual soldier being clear of a 'regimental entry' (i.e., had not committed any military crimes like being AWOL or drunk).

EDIT: There is one shown in my avatar picture to the right of this post, on the left sleeve icon_smile.gif

The amount of time for each badge varied over time, but in Cardwell's time (c. 1870) and after it was two years for the first, then an additional badge at six, twelve, eighteen, twenty-three and then twenty-eight years. Each badge brought with it an extra penny a day pay.

In certain circumstances the fourth badge could be earned at sixteen years and the sixth at twenty-six – none of the sources I have explain what those circumstances are however!

As the badges were hard earned a soldier with one would be much more likely to behave – one single regimental entry and a badge would be lost (although only one at a time if he had more than one) and with it the penny per diem that went with it. However, that is a little misleading as in the 1890s a soldier could be a defaulter in some way and get punishment of confined to barracks for up to a week before losing his badge... Apparently multiple times.

Only privates and lance corporals qualified as for NCOs good conduct was already a requirement of their rank.

I think the chap who posted it gave a really good explanation

regards

Robert

cheers for that robert That clears that up a lot, so this particular soldier im researching appears to have a lsgc as his sole entitlement with the addition of his GC badges is this a common occurance or not ( serving in gibraltar ,india and south africa but no apperance on any of the medal rolls)

cheers again

regards nathan