Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Joseph Jacobs

Flyvulcan

I feel quite privileged to have recently bought a book with the signatures of 2 WW1 German aces, Joseph Jacobs and Carl August von Schoenbeck.

The book is titled "Fighter Tactics and Strategy 1914-1970" and the signatures (along with Adolph Galland's) were obtained by the author at a publication party for the book in Munich during 1973.

Photos of the book and signatures are attached.

I have had an interest in Jacobs because of his relationship with the Dr1. Are any of our forum's contributors aware of any books/references that give a fairly detailed account of Jacob's exploits? I know that he kept a comprehensive diary during his service career and these diaries are being held in a couple of collections (I think I have convinced a recognised researcher/author to consider writing a biography).

If anyone can point me to any decent existing books/sites that give details about Jacobs, I would appreciate any suggestions.

Many thanks.

post-11367-0-00066100-1348881734_thumb.j

post-11367-0-57084800-1348881755_thumb.j

If you can obtain copies, the following Cross & Cockade International Journals have articles about Ltn Josef Jacobs ("Kobes"):

1994, Vol 25 No 2 "Jasta 7 Under Kobes Part 1"

1994, Vol 25 No 3 "Jasta 7 Under Kobes Part 2"

1996, Vol 27 No 2 "Kobes in FFA 11"

1998, Vol 29 No 2 "Kobes - Thoughts and Descriptions"

I hope this is useful.

Gareth

There were a couple of (very) limited print publications produced in the 80s that cover a lot of his career. I have them and I'll look them out and give you their exact titles etc. You might get lucky in the second hand market. One thing I remember from them was the fact that Jacob's official victory score was much lower than the real case as he had a habit of crediting novice pilots in his unit so as to encourage them.

Thanks everyone,

I have seen the aerodrome forums (it is Tom Crean from those forums that I have encouraged to do Jacobs bio), but I will try to chase up those C&C articles. Centurion, I'd appreciate getting those titles.

• 1 month later...
Guest martinwhitaker

Second Lt William Whitaker - I learned earlier this year that my Uncle 2nd Lt William Whitaker was killed in action 6 December 1917 aged 19 flying a Spad 7, number B1623 with 23 Squadron RFC. He left 08.42 hours for a patrol from Lovie, Belgium and was seen NE of Ypres at 09.25 hours. Leutnant Joseph Carl Peter Jacobs claimed him as a 'kill', shooting him down at 09.35 hours over Passchendaele. I have to admit that I did not realise that Jacobs was a German Ace with such a prolific number of "kills". I was interested to read of his war diaries (and of the fact that his offcial score was much lower than the real case as he had a habit of crediting novice pilots in his unit so as to encourage them) and of the intention to write a biography. I have a fascinating collection of my uncle's letters that he sent home to his parents from his time at flying school (I think at Hendon) as well as pictures of him in what I think is a Sopwith Pup. One of the most fascinating things about his letters is his incredulous view of firing a machine gun for the first time and how the bullets miss the propellor! If any of this information or the images are of use in the compilation of any biography I will would be delighted to supply copies.

It is only recently that I have renewed my interest in finding out more about my uncle. My father kept numerous photographs as well as uniforms, RFC badges and the like for years but never really found out during his life time what had happened to his brother. I took up the challenge of finding out more back in the late 80s on my father's death as a means of completing what clearly he had been unable to achieve. The air historian Chris Shores supplied me with information which I subsequently lost and it is only recently that I have been able to find the information once again. In recent years I have taken my children to visit the Arras Flying Services Memorial. William Whitaker has no known grave and is commemorated therel. We even tried to find the site of arifield at Lovie but to no avail.

If anyone has any further information that I can add to what has become a personal mission to find out more about "Uncle Will", his squadron and short life as an RFC pilot I would be delighted to hear.

• 5 years later...
On 21/11/2012 at 08:28, martinwhitaker said:

Second Lt William Whitaker - I learned earlier this year that my Uncle 2nd Lt William Whitaker was killed in action 6 December 1917 aged 19 flying a Spad 7, number B1623 with 23 Squadron RFC. He left 08.42 hours for a patrol from Lovie, Belgium and was seen NE of Ypres at 09.25 hours. Leutnant Joseph Carl Peter Jacobs claimed him as a 'kill', shooting him down at 09.35 hours over Passchendaele. I have to admit that I did not realise that Jacobs was a German Ace with such a prolific number of "kills". I was interested to read of his war diaries (and of the fact that his offcial score was much lower than the real case as he had a habit of crediting novice pilots in his unit so as to encourage them) and of the intention to write a biography. I have a fascinating collection of my uncle's letters that he sent home to his parents from his time at flying school (I think at Hendon) as well as pictures of him in what I think is a Sopwith Pup. One of the most fascinating things about his letters is his incredulous view of firing a machine gun for the first time and how the bullets miss the propellor! If any of this information or the images are of use in the compilation of any biography I will would be delighted to supply copies.

It is only recently that I have renewed my interest in finding out more about my uncle. My father kept numerous photographs as well as uniforms, RFC badges and the like for years but never really found out during his life time what had happened to his brother. I took up the challenge of finding out more back in the late 80s on my father's death as a means of completing what clearly he had been unable to achieve. The air historian Chris Shores supplied me with information which I subsequently lost and it is only recently that I have been able to find the information once again. In recent years I have taken my children to visit the Arras Flying Services Memorial. William Whitaker has no known grave and is commemorated therel. We even tried to find the site of arifield at Lovie but to no avail.

If anyone has any further information that I can add to what has become a personal mission to find out more about "Uncle Will", his squadron and short life as an RFC pilot I would be delighted to hear.

Hello @martinwhitaker

I own a full size flying replica of Josef Jacobs Dr1 and would like to get in touch with you. Please send me a message if by some chance you still monitor this thread!