Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Inherited Photograph - unknown subjects

David Lea

I've inherited the below photograph from the estate of an elderly relative who passed away recently. I've no idea who the subjects are or why she kept the photograph but would like to find out more if possible.

It's difficult to make out the details of the cap badges, even when zoomed in but to the more experienced eye, I'm hoping identification may be possible?

I'm also intrigued as to what the picture may be of in that the person at the front appears to be very young and from his stature, seems only to be a boy?

Any help, thoughts or guidance would be appreciated.

Regards

David

post-92891-0-98297600-1348740141_thumb.j

post-92891-0-19157800-1349017423_thumb.j

David,

Intriguing photo.

I agree with Eddie on Reg't.

The soldier in front could be a boy soldier.

I'm wondering about the Serj't at the back??? I think he might have exceeded all the clothing sizes and I think he may be a very immense man.

Joe Sweeney

It could be a photo of the tallest and shortest soldiers in a battalion if that`s a drummer boy, say? Two normally sized men for comparison.

Very much the long the short and the tall!

But three sergeants ? Wonder if they have some other significance? Tallest, Shortist, Oldest and?

Thanks gents for your thoughts on this. All very interesting... it's a photo that just intrigues me even though i've no idea who it is!

Certainly the Manchester Regiment will fit the general area from where it was discovered (Wigan) and yes, the sergeant at the back is a 'mountain' of a man! I also thought of the smaller male being a 'boy soldier' but I'm not sure how that would have fitted into the army 'structure' at the time? Did they actively recruit children (as drummer boys?) or were they just young males who lied about their ages and not too many questions were asked?

Whatever, it's definitely a photo I will keep out of pure interest.

Thanks again

Regards

David

Thanks gents for your thoughts on this. All very interesting... it's a photo that just intrigues me even though i've no idea who it is!

Certainly the Manchester Regiment will fit the general area from where it was discovered (Wigan) and yes, the sergeant at the back is a 'mountain' of a man! I also thought of the smaller male being a 'boy soldier' but I'm not sure how that would have fitted into the army 'structure' at the time? Did they actively recruit children (as drummer boys?) or were they just young males who lied about their ages and not too many questions were asked?

Drummers and buglers could be recruited as boys and I've seen an account of a drummer in WW1 who was 15. They could not serve overseas until they were past 18. More boys were employed by the regimental tailors, the same restrictions applied.

Whatever, it's definitely a photo I will keep out of pure interest.

Thanks again

Regards

David

Any chance of a closer shot of the capbadges as they could just as easily be members of the Volunteer Force post-1916 wearing the GS Capbadge. The ages of the Sgt's would compare with those serving in the Volunteer Force at this time and the young lad could infact be a member of the Volunteer Cadets, which were springing up around the country - it is possible that all in the photo could infact be related and serving in the VF.

Hi Graham

Thanks for your thoughts on this, all very interesting.

I've tried doing a zoomed-in scan of the photo and attached it to my original posting, I'm afraid it isn't that much better. I've struggled to get anything closer up that isn't all blurred.

I'll look forward to your thoughts on it.

Regards

David