Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5805 Private Harry J Singers, 5th London Regt

bmac

I have attached the rather uninformative medal card for the above gentleman (the grandfather of a friend of mine). He later went on to become 9/44296 Royal Irish Rifles from which I assume he joined the 9th Royal Irish Rifles. I believe one can gather from the medals awarded that he did not go to France (I assume) until 1916. The other information I have comes from my friend who says:

"His name was HAROLD SINGERS and he fought at the Battle of the Somme, he was injured and had a shrapnel neck wound, he was a miserable git and a terrible father and a totally disinterested Grandfather....but am thinking the root to this may lie with the horrors he witnessed in France."

If anyone can help fill in any further details about this man I would be grateful as researching individuals is not something I am strong on. I may be missing something obvious. My suspicion is that he may have been wounded at Gommecourt and then joined the 9th RIR at some later point but that could also be wildly wrong. My track record on such things ain't great as it took me 30 years to discover which regiments my grandfather was in!

I suspect Harry Singers personal file was lost in 1940.

post-49-0-26121100-1348591288_thumb.jpg

Bill

have sent you a PM. In short posted to 9 RIR overseas about Jan 1917; mid 1916 enlistment; no overseas service with LRB; also served 14 & 2 RIR; maybe later Somme battles, almost certainly not 1916 J is for Jarrett

Chris

Harry on his medal roll entry and his MIC, good enough for me