Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arthur's Letters Updated Website

mrgruntbucket

Just a quick note to say that my website ArthursLetters.com has been updated and is now fully searchable as well as having a year and month index. The letters home from the Western Front cover the period February 1915 to December 1918 as well as letters from London while on leave.

These WW1 letters are written by an articulate and intelligent observer of those turbulent times.

Thanks for looking.

Have you read this letter from the Somme ?

http://wp.me/s259Gc-8

Thanks, that's an interesting article. Apart from the well written story, my grandad was in the Royal Engineers in France WW1 . I really have very little idea of the sort of work he did apart from memories of my nan telling me how upset he was about the way the horses were treated.

Letters written at the time really convey the raw emotion far more than books and interviews years after the event.

Obviously Arthur was a non combatant in the war but he still went out and did his bit for nearly 4 years, he could easily have stayed at home or done his initial 3 months and then gone back to his privileged way of life. I admire the man for his fortitude and bravery too, because of his strength of character and the fact he was writing to his elderly mother he seriously understates much of the horrors he encountered.

I really want to ensure that Arthur and the thousands of other unpaid volunteers are not forgotten, not just for the centenary but for many years after that.

Thanks again

All the best

Kevin

I should mention that I live in County Kildare, about four miles from Celbridge!

That's interesting, I am very interested in the Dease family as I have so many letters from them. Of course Maurice Dease was the first VC of WW1, they were quite a family in their time!