Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Books on WW1 V.C's

unitedsound

Can anyone help me find an excellent book on this subject?

Does anyone have the Gerald Gliddon version?

There are several volumes of WW1 VCs, arranged by year and battlefield, mostly by Gliddon, but Ithink other authors have been involved too.

Are you looking for a particular VC?

Thank you Kate

I was on the Western Front at the weekend, and while visiting various cemeteries with a knowledgable friend, realised that I hadn't read much on this very important subject.

I already have Gliddon's Somme book and enjoyed it very much, hence my mention of him.

I'd like to learn about about as many WW1 VC's as possible.

Gliddon's series was already very good - then he went and updated a lot of them last year and this in paperback. The best single series bar none.

If you are looking for biographies, one in particular I liked was on Arthur Blackburn, VC who won his VC at Pozieres. It covers his ww1 service, ww2 and subsequent capture in Java by the Japanese

and is a very good read. He an officer in the 10th Bn AIF during the GW. I don't know of course whether you had in mind Australian VC's or not.

Slightly off topic, but nevertheless a good read about a VC is Forgotten Valour by Peter Quinlivian, the story of Cpl Arthur Sullivan, an Australian who was awarded his VC for action in North Russia in 1919 while serving with the 45th Battalion, Royal Fusiliers.

Gareth

A great book(2 vols in slipcase) that covers all V.C winners is" Monuments to Courage" by David Harvey.