Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

TF Depots. How big was the Depot Party ?

ddycher

All

Currently I am revisiting the forming of a TF Depot in August / September 1914 prior to the battalion leaving for India. Records I have for the following June show by then it consisted of 1 officer and 11 Home Service Other Ranks but other battalions go down as low as 1 officer and 5 O.R.

Does anyone know the actual establishment of a TF Depot at this time ?

Regards

Dave

Hello Dave

I only have figures for 1918, but these give one officer and between two and ten other ranks, bepending on how many battalions the depot was supplying.

This seems to imply that their duties were basically the custody of the premises and such items as the battalions left behind.

Ron

It's basically a case of 'when is a Depot not a Depot' = 'when it's a Battalion H.Q.': As you'll probably be both aware that in the case of T.F. Depots during the early period of the war, they were basically the T.F. Battalion H.Q. and not a Depot in the true sense, where you had thousands of men passing through under training. The job of the T.F. Depots was, as far as I can ascertain, to continue with Attestations and to keep service records up to date. Later these became numbered T.F. Depots, but there appears to be no change in their status, as they seemed to remain for 'Administration & Records' only.

Thanks Gents

Fits with what I have which is mostly attestation, discharge, paperwork etc. Differentiation between these Admin Centres and the Records Offices still not clear to me. I have always considered the Record Offices as a central repository but I am sure this is an oversimplification.

Thanks again.

Dave

Thanks Gents

Fits with what I have which is mostly attestation, discharge, paperwork etc. Differentiation between these Admin Centres and the Records Offices still not clear to me. I have always considered the Record Offices as a central repository but I am sure this is an oversimplification.

Thanks again.

Dave

I would say they were 'one and the same' as all service records were actually handled by your Regimental Depot and not a centralised Records Office, which I believe came later. One valuable source, which may help is actually T.F. Minute Books - as these do contain(regularly) unit establishments of those units administered by the County Association. Somewhere in this Forum are all of the T.F. Association Establishments, which I attached from an early copy of T.F. Regulations(1910)

post-7376-0-87320700-1348398267_thumb.jp

War Office Instruction 144 of 16th April 1915 dealing with the change in T.F. Depots.

post-7376-0-93769300-1348398905_thumb.jp

Graham

Fabulous - many thanks.

Dave