Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Perplexing Service Dress Jackets

gordon92

Recently discovered this image on the Black Watch Forum and have transplanted it here for comment.

This picture is said to be of the 2nd Black Watch in 1898. With the three men in SD jackets, the 1898 date seems mistaken.

All three jackets have no rifle patches. The Sgt Major (sitting) and Sergeant standing on right in the back row have no pleats on the breast pockets. Further, the Sergeant may have cord shoulder straps.

Any explanations for these unusual patterns? The only thing I can think of is that these could be leftovers from the improvised serge jackets worn in South Africa. From 1902 the 2nd BW was in Ambala where it can be nippy on winter mornings.

d2f99945bebb.jpg

The Sgt Major seated appears to be wearing a 'blues' jacket for Highland Regt's, with tartan trews. I can't really comment on the two O/R's because I can't really determine the shading, but you have to remember before the standard pattern SD was authorised, there were other patterns of SD, worn both at home and abroad and in particular South Africa.

The Sgt Major seated appears to be wearing a 'blues' jacket for Highland Regt's, with tartan trews. I can't really comment on the two O/R's because I can't really determine the shading, but you have to remember before the standard pattern SD was authorised, there were other patterns of SD, worn both at home and abroad and in particular South Africa.

The Sgt Major may indeed be wearing a blue serge frock. This frock also appears to have scalloped breast pocket flaps.