Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap Badge North Russia 1919

mcassell

Can anyone identify the cap badge in the attached image? It was cropped from a picture of 201 Battalion MGC in North Russia in 1919. It looks like a South Wales Borderers badge but they were not in Russia as a unit. A Russian friend says the men look like Russians! MG Sections from the North Russian Rifle Regiments of the National (White) Army were attached to 201 Battalion.

post-48620-0-81377300-1348249399_thumb.j

I think that it could be South African Infantry. The Gazelle's head within a wreath.

I would say that they are definitely British/Colonial troops and not Russian--but of course I could be wrong!!

Robert

That's it! A number of South Africans served in 201 Battalion MGC, even forming a separate section. I will inform my Russian friend that he does not recognize his own kin!

Thanks very much.

I think that it could be South African Infantry. The Gazelle's head within a wreath.

I would say that they are definitely British/Colonial troops and not Russian--but of course I could be wrong!!

Robert

Well done Robert, that was a good spot. I thought it was the SA infantry badge too, but I did not know they had any troops whatsoever serve in Russia. Fascinating stuff!

For the record, I have traced the following South Africans serving with 201 Battalion MGC:

Lieutenant Edward Guy Fricker

192141 Corporal John De Klerk

192149 Private Xavier Harry Baker-Budler

193001 Private Gordon Ralph Wilkins

193002 Private William John Bornman

193003 Private Bennie Botha

193004 Private Jacobus Johannes Burger

193007 Private Walter James Brighton

193009 Private Alfred Gunder Olsen

193010 Private Cornelius Wiese

193036 Private John Thompson B Company

193037 Private Jacobus Botha

193038 Sergeant Malcolm Alexander McCorkindale C Company

193039 Private William Jackson

193048 Private Peter Ferenczy

193049 Private Estcourt Herbert Cresswell George

• 2 weeks later...

I have spent a number of years researching British & Commonwealth forces in Russia 1918-20 and the South Africans of 201st MGC (denoted as a "Special Battalion" MGC) served mostly on the eastern bank of the Dvina in support of 46th Royal Fusiliers. A few served with C Coy on the Archangel-Vologda Railway and a few on the western bank of the Dvina with 45th Royal Fusiliers but it appears that the "South African Section" (just as there was an "Australian Section" of 201st MGC on the Railway Front) served on the east bank of the Dvina and was heavily involved in the attack of 10th August 1919 in support of 46th Royal Fusiliers attack on Borok and Gorodok.

A number of South Africans also served with 45th and 46th Royal Fusiliers, most notably Lieut.-Col. Herbert Jenkins who was CO of 46th Royal Fusiliers.

Gunner Parr, can you send me a Private Message? I think your inbox is full. I would like to discuss further and if possible obtain a high res scan of the picture, I am hoping to identify some of the soldiers.

Cheers, Damien

Damien