Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown Soldier.

DazzlerRE

I have a photo of an unknown soldier who is probably a long lost relative. If I could find out his Regiment or Battalion or any other information it may assist me in finding who he is. Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.

post-92756-0-74030500-1348249735_thumb.j

He looks like an elderly reservist and is wearing the pre-war 'slade wallace' equipment belt.

Apologies for the photo quality but I cannot post a larger photo file. Could it be possible then that he served prior to the Great War (Boer possibly)and those are the medal ribbons from that campaign? What kind of date are we talking? I think it is more likely to be Lincolnshire as my family tree has a few links to that County.

Apologies for the photo quality but I cannot post a larger photo file. Could it be possible then that he served prior to the Great War (Boer possibly)and those are the medal ribbons from that campaign? What kind of date are we talking? I think it is more likely to be Lincolnshire as my family tree has a few links to that County.

They could be the KSA and QSA, or might equally well be medals from the 1880s, eg 1st Sudan campaign, as he looks quite elderly for active service, maybe in his 50s. At a guess, he'll have rejoined in 1914 to train Kitchener recruits. A few men of similar age did get out to France early on, but it's likely he never got the chance to leave the UK in this war.

Can't say much about the regiment beyond what's already been mentioned. The 1888 pattern buff leather belt, brought out of old stocks because of shortages of the pattern 1908 web equipment, is another pointer to 1914-1915.

Are those Prince of Wales feathers on the belt buckle ?

The buckles were general service. The central section was a lion and crown, the circlet was embossed with the inscription DIEU ET MON DROIT.