Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with identifying WW1 unit

mcpl.wray

Hi

This is my first post. I am looking for some help in identifying the unit an ancestor was in. All I have is the attached picture that I received electronically some time ago. They are not the greatest quality by any means. I have requested a better picture from a distant family member but have received nothing.

He is identified as Albert ARNOLD. It looks like he has two chevrons on his right sleeve in the picture, he also has the white lanyard usually associated with the artillery. However, the cap badge looks wrong. I am thinking labour corps??

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Wray

post-92778-0-58203800-1348248180_thumb.p

Hi Wray,

Welcome to the Forum.

Looking at the picture I think that he could be 6th Dragoon Guards and Army Service Corps. I have found an MIC on Ancestry which shows him with service numbers 1203, 5966, S/39022. He is entitled to the 1914 Star with clasp and the BWM and VM.

I can see one stripe which would make him a Lance Corporal.

Hope this helps, Robert

P.S. If you can supply a close up of the badge on his hat then this may confirm this.

I agree that the cap badge looks very like Labour Corps. There were labour companies in the ASC and RE, both of which were absorbed by the Labour Corps when it was formed.