Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Duke of Cambridge's Own (Middlesex Regiment)

Sandie Hayes

I'm researching a chap who 'died of disease' on 1st August 1916. SDGW states he died in 'Asiatic Theatres'. I know from CWGC he is buried in Amara War Cemetery, Iraq.

Does anyone have any information on what 1/10th (T.F.) Battalion were doing in mid/late July 1916. I was told by a very distant relative of this man that he may have been a prisoner of war but CWGC inform me this was 'very unlikely'.

Many thanks for any information/thoughts/opinions.

Sandie

• Admin

Hi Sandie

He must have changed Battalions at one point. From LLT:

1/10th Battalion

August 1914 : in Ravenscourt Park. Part of Middlesex Brigade in Home Counties Division. Moved on mobilisation to Sheerness and then to Sittingbourne.

30 October 1914 : sailed from Southampton for India, arriving Bombay on 2 December 1914. It remained in India until the end of the war.

Is he listed as 1/10 on CWGC?

Glen

Thanks to Glen and NigelS for putting me on the right path...

I'm researching a chap who 'died of disease' on 1st August 1916. SDGW states he died in 'Asiatic Theatres'. I know from CWGC he is buried in Amara War Cemetery, Iraq.

He was actually with 1/10th (T.F.) Battalion Middlesex Regiment but was attached to 1/5 Btn, The Buffs.

Does anyone have any information on what 1st/5th Bn. The Buffs (East Kent Regiment) were doing in mid/late July 1916.

I was told by a very distant relative of this man that he may have been a prisoner of war but CWGC inform me this was 'very unlikely'.

Many thanks for any information/thoughts/opinions.

Sandie