Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Darlington West Cemetery

peterkennedy

Please could any members in the Darlington area take a photo of the headstone of Captain Thomas Patrick Milne-Home.

It is in Darlington West Cemetery, section W, row 24, reference W.8F.315, headstone 16.

post-28407-0-43032100-1348766711_thumb.j

post-28407-0-41833700-1348766728_thumb.j

Thank you in advance for your help.

Peter.

Peter

I have taken note of his name and will try and get the photograph in the next couple of weeks, hope this is ok.

John

• 3 weeks later...

Peter

Managed to get back today and it is not good news. We went to Section W where the war graves are located and found only 17 in a row by 5 deep so there was no row 24. Just in case he was there we checked every stone and three which were just outside the block, also checked a memorial which had the names of men who had been cremated at the cemetery without success. We then checked north past the war graves to row 24 and walked in to find grave 16 but nothing there, we then went west in this block to make sure he was not in row 24 the other way and still could not find him. There was no other CWGC headstones but we thought he may be on a private headstone so we continued checking all block W and nothing found. I am sorry that I am unable to complete this task for you, I can remember when I contacted Darlington cemeteries they said they had no record of a man of that name buried in the cemetery so I do not know where we can go on this. I will have to call it a day on this one as it is a 32 mile round trip and I have been there on 3 occassions, the first time we could not find him, on Wednesday gone when we left a sunny Spennymoor and when we got to Darlington and it was chucking it down, and today. Regards John

Captain Thomas Patrick Milne -Home died after the war in Darlington (1956)

he will not have been entitled to a CWGC headstone

he is most likely interned in a family plot

hope this helps

regards Ray

Captain Thomas Patrick Milne-Home HLI

Born in 1875 and died at Darlington North Yorks in 1956 aged 81. He was wounded at Dewetsdorp during the Boer War in 1900, but then in early 1901 was dismissed the service and then reinstated some months later, Proud Heritage revealed that only one HLI officer was wounded at Dewetsdorp (No name given) the officer concerned had surrendered his post to the Boers and had been court-martialled and dismissed the service. The QSA medal casualty roll only mentions one HLI officer as being wounded at Dewetsdorp and names him as Lt T.P. Milne-Home.

Ray

Thanks for the information, however we checked all around Section W stepping out where the grave would be but did not find it. Problem with a lot of the graves is that they are now worn and difficult to read. I may give it another go if we go shopping to Darlington, my wife will not be impressed as our shoes were covered in grass and mud after the last trip.

John

Ray

Thanks for the information, however we checked all around Section W stepping out where the grave would be but did not find it. Problem with a lot of the graves is that they are now worn and difficult to read. I may give it another go if we go shopping to Darlington, my wife will not be impressed as our shoes were covered in grass and mud after the last trip.

John

John in all fairness the requester of the photo, should have let you know it was a family stone, and not a cwgc stone you were looking for

regards Ray

John in all fairness the requester of the photo, should have let you know it was a family stone, and not a cwgc stone you were looking for

regards Ray

Thanks John for all your trouble and effort. Sorry to have taken so long to reply but I have been away from any internet access.

Ray - "in all fairness " I never said that the headstone was CWGC. In fact i gave the exact location of the headstone with maps.

Thanks again John.

Peter

I have no problem with this, I have sent you a message regarding the topic.

John

• 4 years later...

DiCorco

Well done  in finding this headstone, how I missed this I do  not know, however we searched all over the area on the map Peter gave.

Jon

Thank you DiCorco  for the photo.

Thank you Hett65 for telling me about the photo.