Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

DCM found, looking for campaign medals

paulmurphy

Hi

I had some good luck recently, and saw my grandfathers replacement DCM in an auction, its been missing from the family since 1970, and is now back ;)

He was 32403 Gunner Richard Murphy DCM, 59th Siege Battery, RGA. (Repaired field telephone lines under fire).

Although his citation has no date or place of action, the timings of the LG publication, dates of dispatches from French, and info from a divisional war diary suggest it was on or near 25th Sept 1915, near Vermelles, at the battle of Loos. He had a separate MID, and MICs show him entitled to 14-15 Star, Victory and BWM.

The DCM, and campaign medals, were not found amongst his possessions after his funeral in 1970. My dad and uncle spoke of this a few times over the years, and I did some amateur research after I retired a year or so back, used this forum, and booked Chris Bakers services. I learned the original was replaced sometime in the 1960s. Then a few weeks back after googling his name and number, looking for links to any new forum posts, an auction lot for his replacement medal appeared (sold the day before). The auction company kindly passed my details to the buyer, and he kindly sold it to me. I wasnt actually looking for the medal when I found it, Im very happy about this of course, but now I have it I would like to try and complete the group (long-shot I know).

I doubt I will be as lucky finding his campaign medals, or the original DCM from 1916, but may I ask any collectors out there to contact me (email p @ ulmurphy .co .uk (remove spaces)) if you encounter any of my grandfathers medals, or a campaign medal, issued to an RGA gunner, or even other 59th Siege battery gunners. Please let me know if you can help.

Thanks

Paul

It is more than likley your GF disposed of them, sold them, lost them, gave them away, pawned them etc. and then had some regret later in life about it, not an uncommon occurance in that era. To spare embarrasement in the family they usually inomly they were lost or 'stolen'. A replacement DCM in the 60's but none of the other service medals is a bit curious - unless they were slpit after being replaced. Have you obtained a copy of his MIC cards or other papers form Ancestry? A record of his request and why they were replaced and what was replaced would be on file. There is anotehr researcher I use who is spectacular at diggin out nuggest of details others overlook. If you liek PM me and I cna get you his e-mail. Glad you were able to reacquire a piece of your history that you are interested in.

Oh, excellent - I have hit and miss luck with the LG. Very good to know. As for the wherabouts of originals....it is a long shot but not unheard of to locate them. I'll cross post at the BMF and see what might turn up.